August 2013 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Patpong Road: Bangkok comes to SoBe.
Though August is probably the most uncomfortable and lethargic of all times in our fair city, we manage to survive, bolstered by frequent trips to the beach and fortified by Miami Spice meals. Though few restaurants opened and closed, they were memorable.
Enriqueta's Sandwich Shop, which was closed due to an electrical fire, reopened to the joy of many, and Patpong Road, 50 Eggs' vision of what a Thai red-light district would be if teleported to Lincoln Road, made its debut.
August saw the closing of several long-standing Miami establishments. Café Sambal at the Mandarin Oriental Miami Hotel, the Democratic Republic of Beer on 14th Street, and Pasha's on Lincoln Road closed -- though it's not all bad news. Café Sambal will be replaced by La Mar by Gaston Acurio, DRB is expanding its other downtown location, and Pasha's has plans to relocate to another space in South Beach.
- Bar Crudo
- Enriqueta's Sandwich Shop
- Mina's Mediterraneo
- Open Stage Club
- Patpong Road
- Starbucks - Second Coconut Grove location at Bayshore Landing on Bayshore Drive, next to Monty's.
- Sweetness Bake Shop in Hialeah
- Wynwood Cafe at the Art Place Wynwood
Continue to the next page for Closings and Coming Attractions.
- Café Sambal at the Mandarin Oriental Miami closed and will be replaced by La Mar by Gaston Acurio. Azul at the Mandarin is offering a casual menu until La Mar opens in December.
- Democratic Republic of Beer shuttered its 14th Street location.
- Manhattan Café and Market
- Pao Town
- Pasha's on Lincoln Road
- Tavern in the Grove closed for renovations.
- Aoki Teppanyaki - Coming to Dadeland.
- Balan's - Opening another location in Dadeland.
- Barnickel's - Coconut Grove eatery opening soon.
- Bar Lorenzo - Top Chef Tony Mantuano is opening an Italian restaurant soon.
- Baru Urbano - Opening another location at the old Ricochet space.
- Batch - Gastropub coming to Brickell.
- Blackbrick - Richard Hales opening a Chinese restaurant featuring tail-to-snout dining.
- Bobby Flay's Burger Palace - Coming to Dadeland.
- Bocce Bar - Timon Balloo cooks "La dolce vita".
- Brother Jimmy's BBQ - Second outpost in South Miami.
- Buns & Buns - Opening in South Miami.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Duffy's Sports Grill - Coming to Coconut Grove.
- Earl's Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Gravity Brewbar - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- JugoFresh - Expanding their shops.
- L'Echon Brasserie - another Pubbelly endeavor.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- La Mexicana Cantina & Grill - A Mexican sports bar coming to Brickell.
- L'Entrecote de Paris - Authentic Parisian steak frites coming to Miami.
- Lippi - Chef Philippe Ruiz' grand return.
- Lokum Mediterranean Grill - Opening on Alton Road.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Panther Coffee is opening a location in MiMo.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Pinkberry - Opening locations in Midtown and on Alton Road.
- Porcao Farm to Grill - Opening at Mary Brickell Village
- RN74 - Michael Mina opening a restaurant at the Fontainebleau.
- Sonic Beach - Opening in Miami Gardens on September 3.
- STK - Reopening in the fall.
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013.
- Traymore Restaurant and Met Bar Opening in New Metropolitan by COMO Hotel
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Wynwood Brewing Company - Opening soon.
Projects in the Works
- An upscale restaurant and brewery is planned for the old Cooper Avenue space in South Beach.
- Giorgio Rapicavoli is planning a cocktail lounge adjacent to his Coral Gables restaurant, Eating House. He's also working on a doughnut shop.
- Tom Colicchio is opening a restaurant and will oversee f&b operations at the 1Hotel & Residences.
- Steve Martorano is closer than ever to opening a Miami Beach location.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.