- Anime: Japanese Gems at Coral Gables Art Cinema: Following last year’s marathon of Hayao Miyazaki films — Miyazaki!: Ghibli’s Master of Japanese Animation — Coral Gables Art Cinema will kick off another anime-themed festival this summer. Expanding outside of Miyazaki films, the arthouse theater will show nine anime films over seven days.
- Viernes Culturales at Maximo Gomez Domino Park: This month’s edition of Viernes Culturales is a prime example of why the folkloric event has become popular with visitors; it’s a festive cacophony of music, art, and frosty tropical libations that loosens hips and inspires revelers to join impromptu conga lines during the raucous Calle Ocho block parties.
- Cheap Trills at Just the Funny Theatre: Just the Funny improv performers blend elements of variety shows, musicals, and, of course, comedy to create a unique and hilarious live performance. And get this: Tickets cost only $12 online (or $15 at the door), which is a steal compared to the watered-down vodka you'll find for twice the price in South Beach.
- The Abbey’s Anniversary Bash at Abbey Brewing Co.: There’s no birthday like a 21st birthday. And when a bar hits 21 years, even better. The Abbey is about to celebrate the big 2-1, and everyone (who’s 21 or older, of course) is invited. Set your alarm, because the imbibing begins early at The Abbey’s anniversary bash. The iconic South Beach bar will open at 8 a.m. and remain open till 5 a.m. the following day. From 10 to 11 a.m., there’ll be an open bar, so you can drink your fill of 13 drafts and well liquor. The rest of the time, beers, mixed drinks, and shots will run $6 each.
- Waterway Canoe Tours at Coral Gables Museum: Coral Gables Museum (285 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables) hosts monthly Waterway Canoe Tours that let paddlers explore some of the most picturesque parts of those waterways. In partnership with EcoAdventures, Miami-Dade county's tour operator for its parks, a guide and a museum staffer illuminate sights along the way, including local wildlife and historic places and structures.
- Fashion Happy Hour at the Catalina Hotel & Beach Club: Hearty brewskis and fruity cocktails are to happy hour as a wagging lizard tongue is to Miley Cyrus — the two go hand in hand. But what if happy hour came with a lineup of runway shows, DJ sets, and a heavy load of retail R&R to accompany its fiscally responsible lushes? Too good to be true, right? Wrong. This Sunday, Fashion Happy Hour will host its monthly mixer of local vendors, fashion bloggers, and industry pros.