April showers bring many Miami restaurants, according to our tally of new openings. Over a dozen restaurants opened last month. Old favorites David's Cafe, Señor Frog's, and Magnum Lounge returned to the Magic City, and new spots like Organic Bites and Primrose opened up.
The only closings were more like see ya laters. Sakaya Kitchen Downtown shuttered, to be reborn as Centro Taco in the coming months, and The Embassy is going in for a facelift, of sorts, but will be reopening shortly.
- The Cafe at Books & Books at the Arsht Center
- David's Cafe (919 Alton Rd., Miami Beach)
- Guarapo Organic Juice Bar (171 NW 36th St., Miami)
Mandolin Agean Bistro at Soho Beach House
Modern Garden at Seaspice
Naked Lunch at University of Miami Life Science & Technology Park
- Organic Bites (7010 Biscayne Blvd., Miami)
- Pi Pizzeria (124 Collins Ave., Miami Beach)
- Primrose at the Stiles Hotel (1220 Collins Ave., Miami Beach)
- Señor Frog's (1450 Collins Ave., Miami Beach)
- Sunset Juice Cafe (1940 Alton Rd., Miami Beach)
- Trouville Pizza & Restaurant ( 7100 Collins Ave., Miami Beach)
- Sakaya Kitchen Downtown - reemerging as Centro Taco.
- The Embassy - Closed during renovations, but will reopen soon.
- 9 Beach - Restaurant/lounge opening in South Beach.
- AC Hotel - Coming to Miami Beach.
- Aldi - Low cost market coming to Biscayne Blvd.
- Apeiro Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Midtown.
- Bachour Bakery and Bistro - The master baker opens a bistro.
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach.
- Beachcraft - Tom Colicchio's new restaurant coming soon, along with Sandbox.
- Bikini Barista - coming to midtown.
- Brasserie Azur - The Villa Azur people opening a spot in Midtown Miami.
- Byblos - Opening at the Royal Palm Miami.
- Cena - Michy's reopens with new name, updated concept.
- Centro Taco - Richard Hales opening a taco restaurant.
- Concrete Beach - Social Hall opening soon.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Choices Cafe - Opening in Coconut Grove.
- Continental - Stephen Starr's retro Philadelphia restaurant coming to Miami.
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- Della Bowls - Plant based fast casual.
- Deck 16 - Opening at Hyatt Centric South Beach.
- Drinkhouse Fire & Ice - Ice bar opening in South Beach.
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Farinelli 1937 - Upscale pizza by the owners of Strada.
- Firito Taco - Opening on 79th St.
- Fornaro - Wood oven pizza opening in Coconut Grove.
- Freddo Helado - Opening second location in Brickell.
- Freshii - Opening a second Miami location at International Mall.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz to open location in Coconut Grove.
- Izzy's Fish & Oyster - Chef Jamie DeRosa plans a New England fish shack.
- Jimmy'z Kitchen - Opening in Brickell.
- Jugofresh - Opening at North Miami Beach.
- La Divina - Gastro Lounge Coming to Brickell.
- La Moderna - Opening in SoBe.
- Laffa Mediterranean Kitchen - From the My Ceviche team.
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland and other locations.
- Lewellyn's Chicken & Biscuits - 50 Eggs doing fast casual chicken near UM.
- Lulu's Nitrogen Ice Cream - opening in Miami.
- The Lunchbox - Opening in Wynwood.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown, MIA, and Coral Gables.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Nobu - Famed chef opens restaurant on Miami Beach.
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Paraiso Bay will host a Michael Schwartz restaurant.
- Panther Coffee - Opening in Coconut Grove, MiMo, and Little Haiti.
- PB Station - The Pubbelly Boys open in Miami.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pisco y Nazca Ceviche Gastrobar - From the folks at Bulla.
- Quinto La Huella - Uruguay's Parador La Huella coming to Miami.
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn pizza coming to Upper Eastside.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Red Ginger - Asian flair coming to South Beach.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti.
- Sunny's - Spike Mendelsohn opening a place in Miami Beach.
- Sweet Liberty Drink & Supply Company - Mixologist John Lermayer and partners to open a cocktail lounge.
- Talde - Dale Talde to open Asian-inspired cuisine at Thompson Miami Beach Hotel.
- Tantalize - Opening in SoBe.
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables.
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter.
- Total Wine & More - Opening in South Beach.
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami.
- Whole Foods Market - proposed mega store in Sunset Harbour.
- Wynwood Diner - Classic diner and cocktails opening in Wynwood.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer to opening a Miami Beach location.
- Jugofresh's Matthew Sherman and Darren Laszlo plan to open new concept in Sunset Harbour.
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joel Robuchon and Jean-George Vongerichten are both opening eateries in the Design District
- Arjun Wanjey, partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell in the coming year.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.