July, July! Not only is it a choice tune by The Decemberists, but it is a midsummer month filled with illegal fireworks, pool parties and barbecues with so much lighter fluid your Uncle Hank singes off both his eyebrows--again. Some of us are already nursing painful sunburns, but it's worth it to laze outside for a while before the clouds of gnats consume you.
Aside from simmering in the sun, there are a good number of free activities to keep you happy and out of the doldrums this week, not least of which are the myriad Fourth of July celebrations. Read on.
- Invasion: DJ Five, Joe Maz, Ross One and DJ Irie go all out at Mokai. Sign up to the guest list for free entry before 12:30.
- Daughters of the Dust: This week, the Miami Jazz Society brings us an independent film telling the story of three generations of Gullah women.
- America's Birthday Bash: Bayfront Park celebrates the fourth in style. And by "in style," we mean "with a bunch of fireworks."
- July 4th Celebration and Fireworks: Bayfront not your scene? Head to Peacock Park for food trucks and other festivities.
- City of Miami Celebration: Miami Beach keeps it jazzy with performances by Big Poppa and the E Band and the South Florida Jazz Orchestra.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Pre-305 Fest: Churchill's Pub hosts Speedfreek, Grit, Consular, Canabass and more.
- Milagros: The latest from Felici Asteinza, "Milagros: Portal Culture," is a multimedia smorgasbord of vibrant colors at Freedom Tower.