Free Events This Week: SKAM Invasion, Fireworks, Speedfreek
July, July! Not only is it a choice tune by The Decemberists, but it is a midsummer month filled with illegal fireworks, pool parties and barbecues with so much lighter fluid your Uncle Hank singes off both his eyebrows--again. Some of us are already nursing painful sunburns, but it's worth it to laze outside for a while before the clouds of gnats consume you.
Aside from simmering in the sun, there are a good number of free activities to keep you happy and out of the doldrums this week, not least of which are the myriad Fourth of July celebrations. Read on.
- Invasion: DJ Five, Joe Maz, Ross One and DJ Irie go all out at Mokai. Sign up to the guest list for free entry before 12:30.
- Daughters of the Dust: This week, the Miami Jazz Society brings us an independent film telling the story of three generations of Gullah women.
- America's Birthday Bash: Bayfront Park celebrates the fourth in style. And by "in style," we mean "with a bunch of fireworks."
- July 4th Celebration and Fireworks: Bayfront not your scene? Head to Peacock Park for food trucks and other festivities.
- City of Miami Celebration: Miami Beach keeps it jazzy with performances by Big Poppa and the E Band and the South Florida Jazz Orchestra.
- Pre-305 Fest: Churchill's Pub hosts Speedfreek, Grit, Consular, Canabass and more.
- Milagros: The latest from Felici Asteinza, "Milagros: Portal Culture," is a multimedia smorgasbord of vibrant colors at Freedom Tower.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Miami and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.