September marks the beginning of the busy fall season. All over Miami, life renews as shops, restaurants, and hotels spiffy up for the winter season. Retooled menus, chef changes, and reworked decor are all par for the course -- as are the openings of a plethora of new and interesting restaurants.
The most notable restaurant opening in September is Lippi, the much-anticipated restaurant by Zuma partner Tunu Puri. Two-time James Beard nominee Philippe Ruiz heads up the kitchen and Daniel Toral is head sommelier at this upscale Mediterranean restaurant.
Bloom in Wynwood closed suddenly, posting the following note on their Facebook page on September 17:
Hi Everyone, Bloom will be CLOSED, we will be opening in a different location. Our team is bringing a new concept to the space very soon! we will keep you posted.. Thank you everyone for your Love and Support.
October is looking to be a strong month for openings. Watch for Frederic Joulin's Semilla to open on Miami Beach; The District Miami to open in the Design District; and Richard Hales' Blackbrick to open at the very end of the month.
Trumping all news: Trader Joe's is opening its first Miami-Dade store on October 18, bringing affordable groceries with a tiki theme to Pinecrest.
- Duffy's Sports Grill
- Green Garden Organics
- The Island Bistro
- L'Entrecote de Paris
- La Mexicana Cantina & Grill
- Mina's Mediterraneo
- Pinkberry Midtown
- Sonic Beach
- Spris Downtown Miami
Continue to the next page for Closings and Coming Attractions...
- Democratic Republic of Beer (14th Street location)
- Doggi Style
- Grazie (Miami Beach location)
- Pao Town
- Uncle Tom's Barbecue
- The Alchemist - Multiple-course dining experiences coming to Midtown.
- Aoki Teppanyaki - Coming to Dadeland.
- Balan's - Opening another location in Dadeland.
- Barnickel's - Coconut Grove eatery opening soon.
- Bar Lorenzo - Top Chef Tony Mantuano is opening an Italian restaurant soon.
- Baru Urbano - Opening another location in Midtown.
- Batch - Gastropub coming to Brickell.
- Biscayne Brewing Co. - Fresh beer coming soon.
- Blackbrick - Richard Hales opening a Chinese restaurant featuring tail-to-snout dining.
- Bobby Flay's Burger Palace - Coming to Dadeland.
- Bocce Bar - Timon Balloo cooks "La dolce vita".
- Brother Jimmy's BBQ - Second outpost in South Miami.
- Buns & Buns - Opening in South Miami.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- The District - Coming to the Design District soon.
- Earl's Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- JugoFresh - Expanding their shops.
- L'Echon Brasserie - another Pubbelly endeavor.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- La Mar by Gaston Acurio - Celebrity chef coming to Mandarin Oriental Miami.
- Laduree - Parisian macarons coming to Lincoln Road.
- Lokum Mediterranean Grill - Opening on Alton Road.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- MIA Brewing Co. - Opening soon in Doral.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Panther Coffee is opening a location in MiMo.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Pinkberry - Opening on Alton Road.
- Porcao Farm to Grill - Opening at Mary Brickell Village
- RN74 - Michael Mina opening a restaurant at the Fontainebleau.
- STK - Reopening in the fall.
- Semilla - Frederic Joulin opening a new spot in Miami Beach.
- Shikany - Opening in Wynwood.
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013.
- Traymore Restaurant and Met Bar Opening in New Metropolitan by COMO Hotel
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Wynwood Brewing Company - Tap room should be open mid-October.
Projects in the Works
- An upscale restaurant and brewery is planned for the old Cooper Avenue space in South Beach.
- Giorgio Rapicavoli is planning a cocktail lounge adjacent to his Coral Gables restaurant, Eating House. He's also working on a doughnut shop.
- Tom Colicchio is opening a restaurant and will oversee f&b operations at the 1Hotel & Residences.
- Steve Martorano is closer than ever to opening a Miami Beach location.
- Top Chef Fabio Viviani opening an Italian restaurant on Miami Beach.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.