Sam Gorenstein sticks to what he knows. AtMy Ceviche
, he serves pristine local fish in burritos, tacos, and even quinoa bowls. When he goes out to eat, the Colombian-born chef doesn't venture too far from his roots. He clings to seafood and Latin American eats.
Here, in his own words, are his favorite restaurants in town.
1. The River Seafood & Oyster Bar: "For a delicious piece of grilled or pan-roasted fish, the River Seafood & Oyster Bar is the place to go. They do it right. The restaurant takes the catch of the day, prepares it simply, and then highlights its freshness. They also have an incredible selection of oyou go for happy hour!)"
2. Viva Mexico (Previously known as Con Sabor a Mexico Carnitas Estilo Michoacan): "The absolute coolest, local taco shop is Viva Mexico. They make amazing tacos -- and they use every single part of the pig. Their sauces are amazing, but it's really all about the meat. Pork is confited, or slow-roasted, in its own fat for hours. This makes the meat nice and juicy. Piled on top of nicely charred tortillas, it makes for a perfect taco. It doesn't get any better than that. Order everything."
3. My Ceviche: "I hate to toot my own horn, but I have to say: My Ceviche. I eat there every single day, so I have to mention it. The ceviche bowl with quinoa is my favorite, hands down. I have a different style of ceviche every day -- from traditional to rocoto. I love them all!"
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
4. Fiorito: "There's an Argentine place in Little Haiti called Fiorito that serves an amazing piece of well-seasoned steak. Plus, the fries are out of this world. The potatoes are cooked like they should be: double-fried for a soft center and crispy exterior."
5. Doggi's Churrasqueria & Arepa Bar: "For a killer arepa, go to Doggi's. I always get an arepa stuffed with carne mechada and queso guayanes or the reina pepiada. Bonus: The sauces are excellent."
Follow Emily on Twitter @EmilyCodik.