Police Search for Ex-Boyfriend of Marisol Ramon After Her Remains Were Found in Everglades
Today's wrapup of the sins of South Florida is a doozy: Remains found in the Everglades have been identified as Marisol Ramon's, and police are searching for her abusive ex-boyfriend; one person is dead after a crash on an I-95 exit ramp; a man is shot at a Metrorail station; and a woman slams into a Hialeah hair salon.
Marisol Ramon, 40, disappeared May 26. The last evidence of her being alive was security video showing her leaving a Miami Lakes shopping center in a Toyota Yaris while her ex-boyfriend followed behind in a GMC Yukon.
Her car was later found, and in June, human remains were discovered in the Everglades off U.S. 27. Police have identified them as Ramon's.
Though ex-boyfriend Roque Torres, 60, is not an official suspect, police have not been able to track him down to talk to him. Ramon's family said he was abusive and physically dangerous.
"We have the responsibility of now speaking for her," Det. Roy Rutland, of the Miami-Dade Police Department, told NBCMiami. "That responsibility means beginning this investigation, tracking down Mr. Torres and speaking with him, and ultimately solving this case for her and for her family." [NBCMiami]
- An SUV exiting I-95 near 151st Street lost control and rolled over. One person was killed and another was injured in the crash. [JustNews]
- A man was shot in the neck at the Brownsville Metrorail station this morning. Police are searching for the gunman. [WSVN]
- A New Jersey man has been arrested in the murder of a former Miami-Dade Police captain. [WSVN]
- A 79-year-old woman accidentally slammed her car into a popular Hialeah salon. No one was injured. [CBS4]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Florida Might Remove Confederate Flag From State Senate Seal
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:00pm
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 17, 10:00am
- First Speaker of the House From Florida? Rep. Dan Webster Considered Dark-Horse Candidate
- Local Entrepreneurs Create New, College-Only Social Network