November openings heated up Miami's restaurant scene. In anticipation of Art Basel, establishments clamored to get permits in order and train staff for the rush that comes with the mega week of art and culture.
Notable openings include Seagrape, Crown Room, and 1930's House, all at the Thompson Miami Beach Hotel. The restaurants finally bring chef Michelle Bernstein's talents to Miami Beach. Master mixologist Julio Cabrera also collaborated on the impressive cocktail menus.
Speaking of cocktails, Bar Lab's Gabe Orta and Elad Zvi opened 27 Restaurant & Bar, a charming restaurant in a restored vintage Miami Beach bome, adjacent to their popular Broken Shaker bar.
Not many closings to report except for the short-lived Benchwarmers in midtown and the unexpected and imminent departure of Nemesis Urban Bistro, which is scheduled to close in December.
- 27 Restaurant & Bar
- 1930's House at Thompson Miami Beach Hotel
- Brasserie Central
- Cafe Babbo
- Cleo at the Redbury South Beach
- Crown Room at Thompson Miami Beach Hotel
- The Gang Miami (3500 N. Miami Ave, Miami)
- Harbour Bites (2640 S. Bayshore Dr., Miami)
- Little Bread Cuban Sandwich Company
- Ikra (16850 Collins Ave., Sunny Isles)
- Midtown Oyster Bar
- Siena Tavern
- Stripsteak at Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Taquiza (1506 Collins Ave. Miami Beach)
Closings and Coming Attractions on the next page.
- American Social - Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Brickell.
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach.
- Antonio Bachour to open a shop.
- Bikini Barista - coming to midtown.
- Bodega - opening in South Beach.
- Boxelder - Craft beer shop coming to Wynwood.
- Campania - Italian fare from the owners of Sardinia.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Corsair - Scott Conant, celebrity chef/owner of Scarpetta, planning another Miami restaurant.
- Coyo - Taco bar to open in Wynwood.
- Tom Colicchio's as-yet unnamed restaurant at the 1 Hotel and Homes South Beach.
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- The Daily Creative Food Co. - opening in Miami Beach.
- David's Cafe - Reopening on Alton Road
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Fooq's - Opening in Nemesis space.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz to open location in Coconut Grove.
- Izzy's Fish & Oyster - Chef Jamie DeRosa plans a New England fish shack.
- Jimmy'z Kitchen - Opening in Brickell.
- Klima Restaurant & Bar - Opening soon.
- La Moderna - Opening in SoBe.
- The Lunchbox - Opening in Wynwood.
- Mellow Mushroom - Stoner themed pizza chain opening in Miami.
- MIA Brewing Co. - Taproom opening soon in Doral.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- My Ceviche - Coming to South Miami, MIA, and Coral Gables.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Nobu - Famed chef opens restaurant on Miami Beach.
- Paraiso Bay will host a Michael Schwartz restaurant.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Pi Pizzeria - opening Pi'ami. li>Piripi - El Bulli veteran opening Coral Gables eatery.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Red Ginger - Asian flair coming to South Beach.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- Señor Frog's - the party comes to Miami.
- STK - Reopening in South Beach
- Sugar Yummy Mama - Opening a window in Wynwood.
- Sweet Liberty Drink & Supply Company - Mixologist John Lermayer and partners to open a cocktail lounge.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Ted's at Young Arts - Stephen Starr restaurant at Young Arts
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Vagabond Restaurant - Opening soon.
- J. Wakefield Brewing Company - Coming to Wynwood.
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami.
- Wynwood Diner - Classic diner and cocktails opening in Wynwood.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer than ever to opening a Miami Beach location.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.