August was quite a challenge for many restaurant owners. Despite a financial shot in the arm from Miami Spice, restaurateurs had to contend with not only the normal lull of a Miami summer but also a Zika outbreak.
Thankfully, the Miami restaurant community has shown resiliency in the face of adversity, banding together to stay afloat and, ultimately, thrive.
In fact, many eateries recently opened. Notable new spots include Coral Gables speakeasy Cooper 29 and Cream Parlor on Biscayne Boulevard.
This fall, local foodies look forward to a host of new restaurants, including Phuc Yea, which is scheduled to open today, September 1.
B Bar Tapas & Grill
- Big Cypress Distillery (13995 SW 144th Ave., Miami)
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Company (8000 NW 25th St., Suite 500, Doral)
- Café Croissant (1684 Coral Way, Miami)
- Cream Parlor (8224 Biscayne Blvd., Miami)
- Cold Brew Station (food truck, various locations)
- Doc B's (Aventura ParkSquare, 2950 NE 207th St., Aventura)
- Down n' Dirty Tacos and Tequila Bar at Hotel Victor
- Estefan Kitchen Express at Miami International Airport
Half Moon Empanadas
- Halves and Wholes (1600 Alton Road, Miami Beach)
- Lulu's Nitrogen Ice Cream (1439 Alton Rd., Miami Beach)
- Nanndi Frozen Cream, downtown Dadeland (8845 SW 72nd Pl., Miami)
- Ocio (3399 NW 72nd Ave., #106, Miami)
- Pincho Factory (12519 S. Dixie Hwy., Pinecrest)
- Spring Chicken (1439 Alton Rd., Miami Beach)
- Tea and Poets ( 5701 Sunset Dr., #126, South Miami)
- Tino's (1040 S. Miami Ave., Miami)
- Biscayne Home Brew & Carryout
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
- Agave Taco Bar - Opening in Doral
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare
- The Avenue - British pub fare and American beer to open in Arts & Entertainment District
- Azucar - Opening near FIU
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Baru Latin Bar - Opening in Doral
- Bazaar Mar - José
Andrésopening at SLS Brickell
- Bikini Barista - Coming to Midtown
- Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill - Opening in Miami
BousaBrewing Co. - Brewery opening in Little River District
- Brava by Brad Kilgore - Opening at Arsht Center
- The Brick - Farm to table coming to Dadeland area
- The Broken Shaker - Opening in Los Angeles
- Cake Thai Kitchen - Opening in Wynwood
- Casa Florida - Opening at Roam Miami
- Dirt - Opening second location at Mary Brickell Village
- Elle Taco - Opening at Dadeland Mall
- Employees Only - Famed New York City bar opening in Miami Beach
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again
- Federal Donuts - Michael Solomonov coming to Wynwood
- Freddo Helado - Opening in Doral
Fi'lia- Michael Schwartz opening at SLS Brickell
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood
- Graziano's - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- Groovin' Bean - Coffeehouse and lounge opening in Overtown
- Hank & Harry's - Buzzy Sklar to open New York-style deli in South Beach
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz expanding several locations
- IceBox Cafe - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- In the Kitchen With Norman van Aken - Opening at Wynwood Arcade
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Kiki on the River - Greek cuisine on the river
- Jugofresh Kitchen - Opening in Sunset Harbour
- Junior's - Iconic cheesecake and restaurant opening
- La Muse Cafe - Jamie DeRosa opening a Brickell café
- Latin Grill - Opening at Dadeland Mall
- Latin House Grill - Opening near FIU
Le Chick Rotisserie - Zuma investors opening in Wynwood.
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland Mall and other locations
- Local Boy Poke - Opening in Wynwood
- Local 'Q - Barbecue concept by The Local
- McAliser's Deli - Chain deli opening in Miami
- Mediterranean Kitchen - Opening in Aventura
- Mojo Donuts & Fried Chicken - Coming to Westchester
- Ms. Cheezious - Planning expansion
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- NightLife Brewing Company - Brewery planned for Marlins Park
- Oris Sushi - Opening at Dadeland Mall
- Palmeiras Beach Club - Opening in Coconut Grove
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant & Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell and Doral
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn Pizza - Coming to Upper Eastside
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pincho Factory - Opening several locations in Doral, West Kendall
- PlugIn - Karaoke palace opening at Gulfstream
- Pubbelly Sushi - Opening at Brickell City Centre
- Rasta Village - Coming to Little Haiti
- Red O - Rick Bayless bringing his Mexican/California concpt to Miami
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine
- Ricky's - An old fashioned diner opening in South Beach
- Rubio's Coastal Grill - California chain to open in former Lime locations.
- Salty Donut - Doughnut shop coming to Wynwood
- Tap 42 - Opening in Midtown Miami
- The Smile - NYC establishment to open in Miami
- Tino's - Wood Fired pizz coming to Brickell
- Spanglish Ales - Another brewery to open in Wynwood
- Spring Chicken - Several other locations opening
- Stiltsville Fish Bar - Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth opening seafood restaurant in Sunset Harbour
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter
- Tropical Barbecue - Kris Wessel returns with Little Haiti barbecue place
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon
- Unbranded Brewing Company - Hialeah's first brewery
- Union Beer - Beer to go and bar opening in Little Havana
- Velvet Creme - Iconic doughnuts returning to Miami
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami
- Whole Foods Market - Proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour
- Zak the Baker - Planning an expansion of his café and bakery
Projects in the Works
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joël Robuchon is opening eateries in the Design District.
Wanjey, a partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell this year.
- Jose Garces is rumored to be opening a Miami restaurant.
- Alfredo Patino plans to open a French concept on 79th Street.
Embarek Alibaywill open a café adjacent to his La Parisienne Bakery (1909 NE 154th St., North Miami Beach).
- Geoffrey Zakarian is opening a restaurant at the Diplomat in Hallandale Beach.
- A 38,000-square-foot Italian food market will open at Brickell City Centre.
- MasterChef Brazil judge Henrique Fogaca is looking for Miami space.