February is typically a strong month for the Miami culinary world. Fueled by tourism and the South Beach Wine & Food Festival, restaurants on the Beach and in trendy neighborhoods such as Wynwood and the Design District do especially well. The festival also brought the announcement of several new concepts by a roster of household names including Steve Santana (Taquiza), Scott Linquist (Coyo Taco), Guy Fieri, and David Grutman (Komodo, Planta, and others).
However, several of Miami's favorite restaurants — including Perricone's and Tap Tap — closed over the past few weeks. Perricone's will reopen at a location in the Roads.
Significant openings were the food hall the Citadel,
Finally, Proof, a Miami favorite, has found a permanent home at Taurus in Coconut Grove.
- Amare. 1 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 786-598-8622
- Bachour. 2020 Salzedo St., 305-203-0552; antoniobachour.com.
- The Citadel. 8300 NE Second Ave., Miami; 305-989-8601; thecitadelmiami.com.
- Fireman Derek's Bake Shop & Cafe. 3435 Main Hwy., Coconut Grove; firemandereks.com.
- International Smoke. 19501 Biscayne Blvd., Aventura; internationalsmoke.com.
- Mandrake. 210 23rd St., Miami Beach; 305-397-8036; mandrakemiami.com.
- Proof Pizza & Pasta at Taurus. 3540 Main Hwy., Coconut Grove; 305-444-7949; taurusbeerandwhiskey.com.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
- Paulie Gee's Pizza
- Tap Tap
- Vagabond Sushi
- 3 Sons Brewing - opening in Dania
- Afishionado - Jeremy Ford to open seafood eatery
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - opening at Aventura ParkSquare
- Beefsteak - Jose Andres' food truck will be appearing at FIU
- Biscayne Bay Brewing - opening a second location in downtown Miami
- Bonci - Roman-style pizza to open at Cube Wynwood
- Bunnie Cakes - opening a second location in Doral
- el Bagel - opening permanent spot
- the Cat's Meow Cafe - cat cafe coming to MiMo
- Champion Burger - a new burger concept from the Coyo Taco people
- Chicken Guy! - Guy Fieri
openinga chicken tender shop at Aventura Mall
- Descarga Brewing Company - opening in North Miami
- Dos Croquetas - popular croqueta delivery company opening a brick-and-mortar
DunkanooKitchen - opening in Wynwood
- Ember - Brad Kilgore concept to open in Paradise Plaza in the Design District
- Erba - Niven Patel opening an Italian concept
- Esotico - a tiki bar and restaurant by Graspa Group
- G.L.O.W. - a fro-yo shop that donates all proceeds to charity opening in Wynwood
- Gramps by the Sea - opening soon
- Icebox Cafe - opening at Aventura ParkSquare, the Falls, and Hallandale
- International Smoke - Michael Mina and Ayesha Curry team up at Aventura Mall
- Laid Fresh - the Kyu people opening an all-day breakfast spot
- Lost City Brewing Company - coming to North Miami
- Marabu at Brickell City Centre - opening in early 2019
Off Site- Steve Santana (Taquiza) and Adam Darnell (Boxelder) opening a nano-brewery in Little Haiti
- Osaka - Nikkei restaurant coming to Miami
- Papi Steak - David Grutman opening in SoFi
- Punch Bowl Social - opening in Wynwood
- Salty Donut - opening a location in South Miami
- Seawell Fish & Oyster - opening at Kimpton Angler's Hotel
- Shuckers - opening a second location, in South Beach
- Sistrunk Market & Brewery - opening in Fort Lauderdale
- Spanglish - opening in Wynwood
- Starbucks - opening in Midtown Miami
- Time Out Market - food hall opening on Lincoln Road in South Beach
- Trader Joe's - coming to South Beach
- Unbranded Brewing Company - Hialeah's first brewery
- Unseen Creatures - brewery opening soon
- Whole Foods Market - proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour and new Fort Lauderdale locations