Ultra is finally over: goodbye costumed teenager ravers and goodbye to all of the celebrities who swooped in to our beautiful city for a few days. From Weezy to a Kardashian sister, Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande and the return of Justin Bieber, Miami was practically drenched in celebrities. In between all of the celebrity action, Miami-made dancers, filmmakers and poets got some national media attention and Zoo Miami welcomed some new baby leopards.
Here's your midweek roundup of all of the best gossip:
- On Thursday, Wyclef, Flo Rida, and hometown favorite Gloria Estefan all stopped by to celebrate Miami Beach's 100th birthday in style.
- The Red Bull Guest House also saw its share of celebrities including a member of the Kardashian family, Diddy and Weezy.
- That Kardashian was Khloe who was with and her on-again, off-again boyfriend, rapper French Montana. They looked very on-again.
The New York Times praised the locally-made short film, Papa Machete, calling it "hypnotic."
The Times also enjoyed Miami City Ballet's Heatscape. O, Miami also got a mention in the Gray Lady.
Justin Bieber joined Ariana Grande at her weekend concert at American Airlines Arena. Bieber was supposed to sing a couple of duets with the Boca-born singer, but it turns out he didn't know any of the lyrics. Bieber also chilled with Nicki Minaj after Ultra.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Dave Grutman had a big old barbecue during Miami Music Week. Former Miami Dolphin, Reggie Bush was among the famous guests.
- Model Nina Agdal celebrated her 23rd birthday at the Miami Open.
- Members of the Miami Contemporary Dance Company helped celebrate the unveiling of a new mural. The mural, located at the Overtown Youth Center, celebrates the life and achievements of OIympic medalist Jesse Owens.
- The New Orleans Saints confirmed that cornerback Brian Dixon was arrested in Miami over the weekend.
- Alexa Chung was chillin' in Wynwood late last week. She shared this video on Instagram:
- Certain to be local celebrities, two clouded leopard cubs were born at Zoo Miami. Indigenous to Asia, clouded leopards are highly endangered and really adorable.
- Hometown hero Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson hosted Saturday Night Live this past weekend. Johnson was a pretty solid host, but his best sketch of the night was undoubtedly the action-infused update of Disney classic, Bambi.