Miami summers are challenging for the local restaurant industry, with small eateries typically finding it difficult to stay afloat until high season. Many restaurants survive by the skin of their teeth, relying on themed dinners and the Miami Spice program, which runs August 1 through September 30 for much-needed business.
Some restaurants, however, shutter. This weekend, the Fed abruptly closed its doors. The restaurant, helmed by Cesar Zapata and Aniece Meinhold, opened as the Federal Food Drink & Provisions in January 2012 and was prominently featured on the Tom Colicchio-hosted Bravo series America's Best New Restaurant. The eatery recently received a new look and lighter menu, reopening as the Fed this past May. But a rework of the menu wasn't enough for the restaurant to make it, and the following message was posted on Facebook:
Today @thefedmia says goodbye! This has been one of the most difficult & sad decisions of my life!
We thank all of our guests for their support; these last five years have been for you. Everyone that dedicated their time and effort on building The Federal and what it became.
We celebrate the joyful moments we were able to create - anniversaries, birthdays, first dates, engagements, really any day our guests allowed us to be part of. We celebrate all of the accomplishments, accolades and successes we were able to achieve. This chapter closes but it will not be forgotten!
THE JOY IS IN THE JOURNEY! From the Federal Team we say till next time! See u at @PhucYea!
Fast-casual Maoz Vegetarian, along with the iconic S&S Diner South, also shuttered.
There were several key openings in July. Biscayne Bay Brewing Company finally debuted its taproom, Vagabond Kitchen & Bar received new managers and a new chef, and Sugar opened at East, Miami.
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Company (8000 NW 25th St., Suite 500, Doral)
- Dusk pop-up at Crumb on Parchment
- The Grdn at Beds 'n Drinks Hostel (1676 James Ave, Miami Beach)
- Guayaba y Chocolate (1603 SW Eighth St., Miami)
- Juicense (2992 Mc Farlane Rd., Miami)
- Lilikoi Organic Living (500 South Pointe Dr., Miami Beach)
- Pepper's Authentic Mexican (9459 S. Dixie Hwy., Pinecrest )
- STK Miami at ME by Melia (1100 Biscayne Blvd., Miami)
Salty Donut pop-up at the Confidante Hotel
- Sugar at East, Miami
Vagabond Kitchen & Bar
Apeiro Kitchen & Bar (permanent)
S&S Diner South
- 305 Brews - Beer bar opening in Midtown Miami
- Agave Taco Bar - Opening in Doral
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- The Avenue - British pub fare and American beer to open in Arts & Entertainment District
- Azucar - Opening near FIU
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Bazaar Mar - José
Andrésopening at SLS Brickell
- Bikini Barista - Coming to Midtown
- Bird & Bone - Richard Hales opening a chicken truck in Wynwood Yard
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Company - Opening in Doral
- Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill - Opening in Miami
BousaBrewing Co. - Brewery opening in Little River District
- The Brick - Farm to table coming to Dadeland area
- The Broken Shaker - Opening in Los Angeles
- Cake Thai Kitchen - Opening in Wynwood
- Casa Florida - Opening at Roam Miami
- CREAM - Coffee shop opening on Biscayne Blvd.
- Employees Only - Famed New York City bar opening in Miami Beach
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again
- Federal Donuts - Michael Solomonov coming to Wynwood
- Freddo Helado - Opening in Doral
Fi'lia- Michael Schwartz opening at SLS Brickell
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood
- Graziano's - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- Groovin' Bean - Coffeehouse and lounge opening in Overtown
- Hank & Harry's - Buzzy Sklar to open New York-style deli in South Beach
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz expanding several locations
- IceBox Cafe - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- In the Kitchen With Norman van Aken - Opening at Wynwood Arcade
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Kiki on the River - Greek cuisine on the river
- Jugofresh Kitchen - Opening in Sunset Harbour
- Junior's - Iconic cheesecake and restaurant opening
- La Muse Cafe - Jamie DeRosa opening a Brickell café
- Latin House Grill - Opening near FIU
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland Mall and other locations
- Local Boy Poke - Opening in Wynwood
- Local 'Q - Barbecue concept by The Local
- Mediterranean Kitchen - Opening in Aventura
- Mojo Donuts & Fried Chicken - Coming to Westchester
- Ms. Cheezious - Planning expansion
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- NightLife Brewing Company - Brewery planned for Marlins Park
- Palmeiras Beach Club - Opening in Coconut Grove
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant & Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell and Doral
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn Pizza - Coming to Upper Eastside
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pincho Factory - Opening several locations in Doral, West Kendall, Pinecrest
- PlugIn - Karaoke palace opening at Gulfstream
- Pubbelly Sushi - Opening at Brickell City Centre
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine
- Rubio's Coastal Grill - California chain to open in former Lime locations.
- Salty Donut - Doughnut shop coming to Wynwood
- Tap 42 - Opening in Midtown Miami
- The Smile - NYC establishment to open in Miami
- Tino's - Wood Fired pizz coming to Brickell
- Spanglish Ales - Another brewery to open in Wynwood
- Spring Chicken - Several other locations opening
- Stiltsville Fish Bar - Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth opening seafood restaurant in Sunset Harbour
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter
- Tropical Barbecue - Kris Wessel returns with Little Haiti barbecue place
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon
- Unbranded Brewing Company - Hialeah's first brewery
- Union Beer - Beer to go and bar opening in Little Havana
- Velvet Creme - Iconic doughnuts returning to Miami
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami
- Whole Foods Market - Proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour
- Zak the Baker - Planning an expansion of his café and bakery
Projects in the Works
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joël Robuchon is opening eateries in the Design District.
Wanjey, a partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell this year.
- Jose Garces is rumored to be opening a Miami restaurant.
- Alfredo Patino plans to open a French concept on 79th Street.
Embarek Alibaywill open a café adjacent to his La Parisienne Bakery (1909 NE 154th St., North Miami Beach).
- Geoffrey Zakarian is opening a restaurant at the Diplomat in Hallandale Beach.
- Marcus Samuelsson and his team are going forward with a proposed restaurant in Overtown.
- A 38,000-square-foot Italian food market will open at Brickell City Centre.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.