July was a scorcher, both in terms of the heat index and the pace restaurant openings. More than a dozen new restaurants opened in the midst of a Miami summer, proving once again that there really is no off-season lull. The new offerings are as varied as our city itself — from 9 Beach, an Israeli restaurant/lounge with a rock and roll vibe to Centro Taco, Richard Hales' foray into Mexican cuisine.
The restaurants that closed will be missed. Kris Wessel's Oolite, named New Times' best restaurant on South Beach, shuttered abruptly and the most interesting eatery at Aventura Mall, GastroPod, closed. Another surprise was the closing of the Pubbelly Boys' L'Echon Brasserie.
Finally, Fox's Sherron Inn served last call this weekend. The restaurant/lounge/package store that opened in 1946 will be turned into a mixed-use commercial and residential property.
On the bright side, there's much to look forward to. Izzy's Fish & Oyster, an homage to New England seafood shacks, opens any day now and Beaker & Gray will bring craft cocktails and global cuisine to Wynwood.
- 9Beach (1628 Collins Ave., Miami Beach)
- 100 Montaditos in Miami Lakes (6843 Main St.)
- Aldi Market (1290 NE 108th St., Miami)
Byblos at Royal Palm South Beach
- The Continental (2360 Collins Ave., Miami Beach)
- Deck 16 at Hyatt Centric (1600 Collins Ave., Miami Beach)
FingaLicking (17467 NW 27th Ave., Miami Gardens)
- Las Americas ( 2772 SW Eighth St., Miami)
- Mister Block Cafe (Wynwood Block Plaza, Miami)
- Momo Sushi Pop-Up at Mondrian
My Ceviche Coral Gables
- Starbucks (6320 Biscayne Blvd., Miami)
- Uncle Tom's Barbecue (8345 SW 124th St., Pinecrest)
- Wapo Taco (2526 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables)
MrktPop-Up at Southeast Financial Center
- Fox's Sherron Inn
- L'Echon Brasserie
- L'Entrecote de Paris
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
ApeiroKitchen & Bar - Coming to Midtown.
- Bachour Bakery and Bistro - The master baker opens a bistro.
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Beacon Hill Chocolates - Opening in MiMo.
- Beaker & Gray - Opening in Wynwood.
- Bikini Barista - Coming to midtown.
- Brasserie Azur - The Villa Azur people opening a spot in Midtown Miami.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Choices Cafe - Opening in Coconut Grove.
- Della Bowls - Plant based fast casual.
- Drinkhouse Fire & Ice - Ice bar opening in South Beach.
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Farinelli 1937 - Upscale pizza by the owners of Strada.
FiritoTaco - Opening on 79th St.
- Freddo Helado - Opening second location in Brickell and one in Doral.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Groovin' Bean - Coffee house and lounge opening in Overtown.
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz to open location in Coconut Grove.
- IGA Culinary School - Opening in North Miami/
- Izzy's Fish & Oyster - Chef Jamie DeRosa plans a New England fish shack.
Kitchen - Opening in Brickell. Jimmy'z
LaffaMediterranean Kitchen - From the My Ceviche team.
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland and other locations.
n'sChicken & Biscuits - 50 Eggs doing fast casual chicken near UM.
- M.U.G. - Cafe and hair salon opening in Wynwood.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Ni.Do. Cafe -
OPeningsecond location in North Miami.
- Nobu - Famed chef opens
restauranton Miami Beach.
Itabe- Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant and Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex.
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti.
- PB Station - The
PubbellyBoys open in Miami.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pisco y Nazca Ceviche Gastrobar - From the folks at Bulla.
- Quinto La Huella - Uruguay's Parador La Huella coming to Miami.
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn pizza coming to Upper Eastside.
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
PubbellySushi - Opening secondlocation.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- Sugar Factory - Opening on Lincoln Road.
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti.
- Sunny's - Spike Mendelsohn opening a place in Miami Beach.
- The Spillover - Lokal explores the sea.
- Sweet Liberty Drink & Supply Company - Mixologist John Lermayer and partners to open a cocktail lounge.
Talde- Dale Talde to open Asian-inspired cuisine at Thompson Miami Beach Hotel.
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables.
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter.
- Total Wine & More - Opening in South Beach.
- TiramesU - Opening SoFi.
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Uncle Tom's Barbecue - Opening in Homestead.
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami.
- Whole Foods Market - proposed
mega storein Sunset Harbour.
- Wynwood Diner - Classic diner and cocktails opening in Wynwood.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer to opening a Miami Beach location.
- Jugofresh's Matthew Sherman and Darren Laszlo plan to open new concept in Sunset Harbour.
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joel Robuchon and Jean-George Vongerichten are both opening eateries in the Design District
- Arjun Wanjey, partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell in the coming year.