The internet is abuzz with the story of Edward Archibold, a 32 year-old West Palm Beach man who died last Friday after winning a roach eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach.
- Cockroach Death: Five Other Foods That Can Kill You
- West Palm Beach Man Dies After Eating Live Roaches
Though the insects consumed during the competition were not raised specifically for human consumption, there are many places that sell bugs designed for people to eat.
In fact, entomophagy, or insect eating, is practiced by most of the world, with many street vendors offering up scorpions on a stick, fried grubs, or sauteed waxworms as a tasty alternative protein. According to a 2010 edible insect conference, over 80 percent of the world's population include insects as part of their diet. Currently 1,400 insects of the nearly one million species have been identified as safe for human consumption.
Whether oven-baked, fried, salted, or dipped in chocolate, these insects are safe and tasty.