Miami's busy season has arrived, bringing a slew of visitors to the city. With the tourists, Miami Art Week, and Art Basel come new restaurants.
This month, chef Timon Balloo opened Balloo: Modern Home Cooking, a delightful little eatery that offers a rotating menu of soulful dishes. And Lorena Garcia debuted Chica, a gorgeous restaurant that offers dishes influenced by the chef's beloved Venezuela and other Latin American countries.
- Balloo Modern Home Cooking. 19 SE Second Ave., Suite 4, Miami; 786-534-2768; balloorestaurant.com.
Chica. 5556 NE Fourth Ct., Miami; 786-632-7725; chicarestaurant.com.
Hutong. 600 Brickell Ave., Miami; 786-388-0805; hutong-miami.com.
- Jealous Fork. 10700 SW 84th St., Miami; 305-699-1430; jealousfork.com.
- La Fontana. 10702 NW 74th St., Doral; 786-713-8041; lafontanasteakhouse.com.
- InRamen Asian Street Eatery. 5829 SW 73rd St., South Miami; 305-639-8181; inramen.com.
- Mama Joon. 2216 Park Ave., Miami Beach; lifehousehotels.com.
- Navé. 3540 Main Hwy., Coconut Grove; 786-615-3747; navemiami.com.
- Night Owl Cookies. 164 NE 41st St., Miami; nightowlcookieco.com.
- Orilla Bar & Grill. 426 Euclid Ave., Miami Beach; 305-397-8806; orilla.restaurant.
- Spanglish Craft Cocktail Bar + Kitchen. 2808 N. Miami Ave., Miami; barspanglish.com.
- No notable closings.
- Afishionado - Jeremy Ford to open seafood eatery
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare
- Bachour Bakery and Restaurant - Opening in Doral
- The Baked Bear - Coming to Wynwood and Sawgrass Mills
- Biscayne Bay Brewing - Opening a second location, in downtown Miami
- Bonci - Roman-style pizza to open at Cube Wynwood
- Botanico Gin - Opening in CocoWalk
- Brasamasa - Opening in downtown Miami
- Bulla Gastrobar - Slated to open at the Falls in the fourth quarter of 2019
- Bunnie Cakes - Opening a location in downtown Doral
- Burger Beast Burger Joint inside Mojo Donuts & Fried Chicken - Burger Beast set to open a burger joint
- El Bagel - Opening permanent spot in Miami's Upper Eastside
- The Cat's Meow Cafe - Cat café coming to MiMo
- Cote - Michelin-starred steak house to open in Miami
- Champion Burger - New burger concept from the Coyo Taco people
- Dalia at the Celino South Beach Hotel - Opening in South Beach
- Descarga Brewing Company - Opening in North Miami
- The Doral Yard - Della Heiman's community, food, and drink hub will open in Doral
- Esplanade at Aventura - New dining and shopping complex in Aventura with Jarana and more
- G.L.O.W. - Fro-yo shop that donates all proceeds to charity opening in Wynwood
- Gramps 2 - Opening 2020
- Gramps by the Sea - Opening 2021
- Hiyakawa - Wabi Sabi chef opening Wynwood restaurant
- Icebox Cafe - opening at Aventura ParkSquare, the Falls, and Hallandale
- Ichimi Ramen - Coming to Midtown Miami
- Ironside Bakery - Fresh bread coming to Miami
- La Gringa Tostaderia - Opening at Time Out Market
- Little Hen - Breakfast and high tea opening in Midtown Miami
- Lost City Brewing Company - Coming to North Miami
- The Loyal - New York brasserie coming to Miami
- Macchialina - Opening second location in Coral Gables
- Marabu at Brickell City Centre - Opening in early 2019
- Margot - Bar Lab opening a wine bar in downtown Miami
- Morrofino Barcelona - Opening winter 2019
- Off Site - Steve Santana (Taquiza) and Adam Darnell (Boxelder) opening a nanobrewery in Little Haiti
- Omakai Sushi - Opening in Wynwood
- Osaka - Nikkei restaurant coming to Miami
- Planta - Opening a second Miami-area location, in Coconut Grove
- Punch Bowl Social - Opening in Wynwood
- Riverside - Mixed-use facility and brewhouse in Brickell
- Rivertail - Jose Mendin to open his first Fort Lauderdale restaurant
- Shuckers - Opening a location in South Beach
- Sushi Garage - Opening in CocoWalk
- Uchi - Texas sushi coming to Miami
- Unbranded Brewing Company - Hialeah's first brewery
- Unseen Creatures - Brewery opening soon
- Whole Foods Market - Proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour and new Fort Lauderdale locations
- Yeasty Brews - New brewery celebrating the fermentation process
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.