The weekend is finally here. And as the hot weather rolls in, Miami looks it in the face, and laughs. Nothing can stop Miamians from enjoying their weekend, even if they have to move it inside. This weekend offers plenty to keep you cool and keep you entertained; from musicals and drama, Summer Shorts and more.
Happy weekend, Miami; you've earned it.
- Summer Shorts at Carnival Studio Theater: City Theatre kicks off its 20th-anniversary season in early June with Summer Shorts: America’s Short Play Festival.
- The Shining at O Cinema Miami Beach: O Cinema Miami Beach will celebrate the iconic film’s 35th anniversary for an entire weekend beginning this Friday.
- The Little Mermaid at Area Stage at the Riviera Theater: Look at this stuff, isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think my collection's complete? Go be part of Ariel's world.
- Heritage Spotlight Series at HistoryMiami: As part of HistoryMiami’s programmed events, dancer Clarita Filgueiras will lead a workshop on how to dance flamenco. She will teach the rhythms, footwork, and hand movements of rumba flamenca.
- Fito Páez at The Fillmore Miami Beach: Fito Páez, a celebrated pianist, lyricist, singer, film director, Latin Grammy winner, will bring the funk to center stage.
- Casa Valentina at GableStage: Based on a true story, this award-winning play is about a group of straight men spending their summer vacation in the Catskills, where they enjoy cross-dressing. Sure, why not?
- Royal Poinciana Fiesta at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden: Pack a picnic lunch and explore the Kampong. Following lunch and provided refreshments, board a bus for a narrated tour of the area’s lushest trees — including royal poincianas — guided by Larry Schokman, director emeritus of the Kampong, and Steve Pearson, director of the Gifford Arboretum at the University of Miami.