The Conscious Bite Out dinner series is Miami's tribute to sustainability, innovation, and delicious, plant-based eats. The newest installment of the unique event will feature edibles by three innovative local chefs: Nicole Gonzalez from downtown's Fooq’s, Brad Kilgore from Wynwood's Alter, and Jonathan Seningen from Miami Beach's soon-to-open Dirt.
"From inception, Jeff, Matt, and I have always wanted to be involved with community initiatives and outreach here in South Florida, and Conscious Bite Out is our first step in becoming part of the fabric of the Miami community," Seningen says. "All the credit to Jeff on this one — I'm not local yet (I'm moving from D.C. next month), but Jeff has started cultivating relationships that are at the core of what we’re striving for here; it’s through his digging and networking that we were led to Seed and Conscious Bite Out."
Seningen will make while chamomile gazpacho and coconut ceviche hors d’oeuvres and raw vegan petite "filets" wrapped in "bacon" as an entrée. "Nicole and I also hashed out dessert (lychee and basil seed cake), so I can’t take all the credit for that one," he adds.
"We don't have our own space up and running yet, so I’m in a foreign kitchen with hundreds of moving variables. (Brad has graciously provided some prep space for us at Alter.) So let’s be honest here — I’m going to do things that are familiar to me. That being said, to me there are a few important components to a menu like this: something seasonal, something local, and something completely different," he explains of his inspiration for the evening's items.
The full menu includes the following:
- Fava and Petite Falafel
- Harissa, Cashews, Cucumber
- Leek "Chorizo"
- Vegan Soubise, Charred Avocado, Smoked Garlic
- Smoked Eggplant “Pastrami”
- Tomato, Tofu, Thousand Island Dressing, Vegan Feta Cheese
- White Chamomile Gazpacho
- Celery, Almond Milk, Grape
- Royal Trumpet Ceviche
- Young Thai Coconut, Passionfruit, Habanero
- Baby Lettuce "Tacos al Pastor"
- Paprika, Sweet Onions, Pineapple, Heritage Blue Corn Tortilla
- Florida Sweet Corn Flan
- Black Garlic, Truffle Pearls, Puffed Tapioca, Parsley Root "Scallops"
- Smoked Potato & Bluefoot Mushroom Rosti
- Grilled Calabaza, Pickled Fennel, Tarragon "Hollandaise"
- "Bacon"-Wrapped Petite "Filet"
- Kohlrabi Ravioli, Morels, Horseradish, Red Wine
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
- Lychee & Basil Seed Cake
- Orange Blossom Butter Cream, Papaya & Kiwi Salad, Nicole’s Really Really Good Granola, Fine Herbs
"It's an honor for us to be involved in Conscious Bite Out before our doors are even open," Seningen adds. "I’m also really pleased to introduce some new concepts that demonstrate the level that raw vegan food can reach. It's important to point out that Dirt is inclusive to all diners and diets (vegan and otherwise), so I wouldn't want to give the impression that we’re vegan-only — but it’s not about me, it’s supporting a good cause; building relationships; creating fun, healthy food; working with local farmers and purveyors; and meeting good people. After all, that's what we’d like Dirt to be, so I'm thrilled to be a part of this!"
The cost is $125 per person, and tickets can be purchased at consciousbiteout.com. Dinner begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, June 25, at LMNT, 59 NW 36th St., Miami.