February was a busy month for Miami's culinary scene. The South Beach Wine & Food Festival saw tens of thousands of hungry people enjoy Miami's restaurants and bars, with celebrity chefs spotted at Joe's Stone Crab, Seagrape at the Thompson Miami Beach, and other notable restaurants.
Many restaurants that opened in February already enjoy cult followings. Ms. Cheezious already has wide appeal from their popular food truck; Velvet Creme Doughnuts is making a nostalgic comeback with a food truck; and Mellow Mushroom's first foray into Miami-Dade was greeted with much fanfare.
Shikany, which had been rumored to be closed temporarily due to plumbing issues, is officially no more, with chef Michael Shikany announcing plans to open a restaurant out of state, and 5 Napkin Grill on Lincoln Road closed due to a fire, although there are plans to reopen.
Restaurants we're looking forward to opening in March include Klima Restaurant and Bar, featuring a homey, modern vibe and cuisine inspired by Barcelona and the Mediterranean; and Byblos at the James Royal Palm, a Toronto-based restaurant with roots also grounded in the blue waters of the Mediterranean.
- BTW (Burgers, Tacos, Whiskey)
- Biscayne Diner
- Bistro Cassis
- El Cielo
- Fresh American Bistro at Sole on the Ocean
- MIA Brewing Company
- Mellow Mushroom
- Ms. Cheezious
- Quality Meats
- Sack It! Fine Sandwich Company at Cocowalk
- Schnebly Redland's Winery and Brewery
- Sugar Yummy Mama's Wynwood window
- Tokyo Blue
- Uncle Tom's Barbecue in Hialeah
- Velvet Creme Doughnuts Food Truck
Continue on to the next page for the Closings and Coming Attractions...
- Shikany (officially closed)
- 5 Napkin Grill (closed due to fire and scheduled to reopen at a later date)
- AC Hotel - Coming to Miami Beach.
- Apeiro Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Midtown.
- Bachour Bakery and Bistro - The master baker opens a bistro.
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach.
- Beachcraft - Tom Colicchio's new restaurant coming soon, along with Sandbox.
- Bikini Barista - coming to midtown.
- Bonefish Grill - Opening in Aventura.
- Boxelder - Craft beer shop coming to Wynwood.
- Byblos - Opening at the James Royal Palm.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Continental - Stephen Starr's retro Philadelphia restaurant coming to Miami.
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- Della Bowls - Plant based fast casual.
- David's Cafe - Reopening on Alton Road
- Deck 16 - Opening at Hyatt Centric South Beach.
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Firito Taco - OPening on 79th streer.
- Fooq's - Opening in Nemesis space.
- GastroPod - Opening in Aventura Mall.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz to open location in Coconut Grove.
- Izzy's Fish & Oyster - Chef Jamie DeRosa plans a New England fish shack.
- Jimmy'z Kitchen - Opening in Brickell.
- Jugofresh - Opening at North Miami Beach.
- Klima Restaurant & Bar - Opening soon.
- La Moderna - Opening in SoBe.
- Laffa Mediterranean Kitchen - From the My Ceviche team.
- Lewellyn's Chicken & Biscuits - 50 Eggs doing fast casual chicken near UM.
- The Lunchbox - Opening in Wynwood.
- Mandolin Agean Bistro - Opening a private dining spot at Soho BEach House.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown, MIA, and Coral Gables.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Naked Lunch - Chef Ralph Pagano opens a lunch spot.
- Nobu - Famed chef opens restaurant on Miami Beach.
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Paraiso Bay will host a Michael Schwartz restaurant.
- Panther Coffee - OPening in Coconut Grove, MiMo, and Little Haiti.
- PB Station - The Pubbelly Boys open in Miami.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Pi Pizzeria - opening Pi'ami.
- Piripi - El Bulli veteran opening Coral Gables eatery.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Red Ginger - Asian flair coming to South Beach.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- Señor Frog's - the party comes to Miami.
- STK - Reopening in South Beach
- Sunny's Spike Mendelsohn opening a place in Miami Beach.
- Sweet Liberty Drink & Supply Company - Mixologist John Lermayer and partners to open a cocktail lounge.
- Talde - Dale Talde to open Asian-inspired cuisine at Thompson Miami Beach Hotel.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Total Wine & More opening in South Beach.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami.
- Whole Foods Market - proposed mega store in Sunset Harbour
- Wynwood Diner - Classic diner and cocktails opening in Wynwood.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer to opening a Miami Beach location.
- Jugofresh's Matthew Sherman and Darren Laszlo plan to open new concept in Sunset Harbour.
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
Follow us on Facebook at Miami New Times Food & Drink.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.