Miami Catholic Priest Allegedly Sexually Harassed Man; Placed on Leave
Father Daniel Kubala of Miami's St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church and Parish is on leave after a lawsuit was filed last month claiming that the priest twice made sexual advances on an unidentified adult male who worked at the church.
Kubala, however, denies the accusations, and claims he voluntarily took the leave of absence so as not to be a distraction.
According to NBC Miami, the unidentified "John Doe," is an adult who has a female companion with which he has a child. Though the man is only 5'1" and 125 pounds, and the lawsuit describes him as having "the appearance of a teenaged male."
The suit says the first incident occurred on April 8. Doe accuses Kubala of luring the man into a bedroom, kissing him, groping his genitalia and saying, "I want your body." The incident allegedly happened on church grounds. The man refused, but claims Kubala told him to come back later that night to have some whiskey and "make it better."
A second incident allegedly occurred on April 29. This time the victim claims the priest offered him $200.
The man had reported the first incident to police. He also claims that he lost his job as a custodian after the incident.
"We have some understanding that not only the Father [Kubala], but, you know, certain Catholic priests have been found to engage in that type of behavior, and unfortunately, it's been plead, and eventually, my client will have his day in court," attorney Benjamin Alvarez told the station.
The suit is seeking $15,000 in damages.
Rumors of several gay priests have haunted the Miami archdiocese for years. Back in 2011, former local Catholic priest Father Cutie wrote, "There are so many homosexuals, both active and celibate, at all levels of clergy and Church hierarchy," in his book detailing his own relationship with a woman while serving as a priest.
Several seedier claims were published on Gawker later that year detailing allegations of mass homosexual behavior among Miami priests.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Fourth Man Pleads Guilty in Sean Taylor Murder, Sentenced to 30 Years
- Miami's Traffic Has Gotten Worse in the Past Year, Still Seventh-Worst in U.S.
- Killian High Stabbing Suspect Sued Former School Over Football Player Rape Allegations
- After Toxic Cleanup, Runaway Equipment Spoils Merrie Christmas Park Reopening