Around Town This Weekend: Dragon Tattoos and Bike Pub Crawls
There's much to do this weekend with the Miami International Film Festival opening tonight at Gusman and the Winter Party Festival taking over Miami Beach. Until we master the art of being in two places at once, we wish we could save some of these events for Miami's sticky, quiet summer. But alas, like the cold weather, enjoy the overabundance of things to do while it lasts.
(Did we miss something? Leave a comment and tell us what weekend event you're pumped to attend.)
- The Miami Made Weekend starts tonight with Here & Now. South Florida artists Rudi Goblen, Juraj Kojs, and Jillian Mayer bring their genre-defying projects to the Arsht Center.
- Ken Loach's Looking for Eric opens the film festival. Come early for the star-studded red carpet and head to the Freedom Tower after the screening for the Opening Night Party.
Eat coconut rice and watch professional dancers from Thailand at the Asian Culture Festival in Homestead.
According to their Facebook page, almost 200 bikers
are attending this Saturday's Beer Snob Bicycle Pub Crawl. Have you ordered
your T-shirt yet? C'mon, it's a manatee with a frosty mug and a cyclist's cap. How can you resist?
Forget Twilight's Bella, the rest of the free world has been obsessing over the neo-punk heroine in Stieg Larsson's Swedish novel, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. See the film adaptation this Saturday as part of the film festival.
Yes, she's famous for more than getting interrupted by Kayne West.
listing them. See the 19-year-old
virginal pop star on Sunday at the BankAtlantic Center.
We hear it's sold out, so hopefully you've already got your tickets to the Miami Beach Cinematheque's steak-and-prizes-laced Oscar Party.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Former Hurricane Brett Romberg Calls Jonathan Martin "a Piece of Garbage"
Thu., Sep. 3, 6:35pm
Fri., Sep. 4, 11:30am
Fri., Sep. 4, 6:35pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 11:30am
- There Are a Lot More Educated Young Women in Miami Than Men (Which Is Why You're Single)
- The Sane (but Sort of Lazy) Person's Guide to Early Hurricane Preparation