Free Events This Week in Miami: Trick or Treat, Start-Up Shop, and Hitchcock Presents
Photo by George Martinez
Mwahahahaha. It's a very spooky edition of free events in Miami.
Actually, all this stuff is pretty fun and it's cheap. Nothing too scary about that.
There is free food and candy galore, especially if you're a kid in a cute costume. That doesn't mean there aren't a few tricks up Miami's cultural sleeve. If you're looking for frights, there are a few. There's even some totally non-seasonal events to arm you with the skills you need to start a business and keep it running year-round.
But c'mon, the Halloween stuff is the best part.
- Free Grub for Kids at Pollo Tropical: Hungry kids can turn into little monsters. Feed that holwin' wolf for free at the Aventura Pollo Tropical all week. The only catch is that they've got to be wearing their costumes. As if you could get them out of those things this week anyway.
- Margarita Carrillo Arronte Mexico: The Cookbook: Celebrating literature never tasted so good as when this famed chef will bring her culinary adventures to life at Books & Books, kicking off at 6:30 p.m. Mexico: The Cookbook features 700 recipes from across the delicious nation, and you'll get to try some yourself.
- Art Market Wednesday at Café Cita Aventura: Check the wares and creations from area artists while noshing on sandwiches, salads, and other tasty bites. Plus, they've got beer, wine, and signature coffee drinks. It's all day at Café Cita in Aventura (18719 Biscayne Blvd.), beginning at 8:30 a.m.
- Launching a Start-up: A Conversation with Innovative Women: Real empowerment comes from within, and more ladies need to start taking their slice of that entrepreneurial pie. Sit down for an intimate discussion with Dawn Dickson of Flat Out of Heels, Felecia Hatcher of Code Fever, and Fatima Lalani of the Blo Blow Dry Bar. Get inspired to start your own company and the insight to make it work. Hosted at the Pipeline Brickell (1101 Brickell Ave., South Tower No. 8), beginning at 6:30 p.m. RSVP by October 28 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Trick or Treating at the Market: Dress you children in their costumes and take them to Whole Foods Market for a sweet grab-bag of gifts and a little surprised from each store section. It's a good way to kick off the festivities and knock out the last-minute errands.
- The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog: No one is better at spooks than Alfred Hitchcock. Catch an early work from the psycho-thrill master on Halloween night, 7 p.m., at the Wolfsonian-FIU.
10th Annual Memorial Weekend Comedy Festival
TicketsSun., May. 28, 8:00pm
Young Contemporary Dance Theatre
TicketsSat., Jun. 3, 6:00pm
The 8th Baila Flamenco Student Dance Festival
TicketsSun., Jun. 4, 1:00pm
Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami
TicketsSat., Jun. 10, 8:00pm
TicketsSun., Jun. 11, 6:00pm
Follow Kat Bein on Twitter @KatSaysKill.
Send your story tips to Cultist at email@example.com.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Miami and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.