Every July 5th, Americans wake up to news of Independence Day partiers severely injured when patriotic explosions go wrong; out in California's Simi Valley, 28 people were hurt when a fireworks show blew up on the ground near a crowd of spectators.
The worst accident in Miami on this Fourth of July didn't come from fireworks, though. Four men in Hialeah Gardens were seriously burned when their BBQ grill exploded.
The men were cooking on a custom-made brick oven and grill when a gas tank started leaking, police tell the Miami Herald.
The leak caused an explosion which left all four men with second degree burns, including Luis Fabian Chirino, the 68-year-old who owns the house.
Chirino was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital along with 31-year-old William Hernandez, 46-year-old Guillermo Valdez and 53-year-old Juan Chirino, a Hialeah Gardens spokesman tells the Herald.
Luis Chirino was listed in critical condition, but all four men are expected to survive.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.