It seems that the traditional cycle of Miami restaurant seasons has changed, with more and more eateries opening throughout the late spring.
In May, for example, more than two dozen restaurants, bars, and food trucks opened for business — a clear indication that a restaurant can certainly survive through the summer, thanks to Miami's transition of becoming a place to live rather than a resort town for tourists.
Notable openings include Matt
Many casual spots opened, including a second location of
Miami may just be seeing a food truck revival with the opening of
The most shocking news of the month happened yesterday when Cena by Michy closed its doors. Chef Michelle Bernstein and partner/husband David Martinez opened the restaurant as Michy's a decade ago, to critical and public acclaim. The restaurant proved successful not only for Bernstein but also for a multitude of chefs and industry professionals who went on to great success in other endeavors. The restaurant shuttered abruptly after the partners and the building owner apparently couldn't reach a lease agreement.
- Aldi (735 NE 167th St., North Miami Beach)
- Bulla Gastrobar (5335 NW 87th Ave., Doral)
- Conch Shell Cafe (10245 Collins Ave., Bal Harbour)
CoyoTaco (1111 SW First Ave., Miami)
- CREAM (18719 Biscayne Blvd., Aventura)
- Doggi's Arepa Bar (7281 Biscayne Blvd., Miami)
- Faith & Pizza Pop-Up at Downtown Dadeland (7250 N Kendall Dr., Miami)
- Honeybee Doughnuts (7388 Red Rd., South Miami)
- JoJo Tea Tasting Room (951 S. LeJeune Rd. , Coral Gables)
KuenkoFood Truck at the Wynwood Yard
- Lincoln's Beard Brewing Company (7360 SW 41st St., Miami)
- Night Owl Cookie Co. (10742 SW 24th St., Miami)
- Poke 305 (169 SW 7 St., Miami)
Quinto La Huella
- Raw Juice (19911 Biscayne Blvd., Aventura)
- The Spillover (2911 Grand Ave., Miami)
- Wynwood Parlor Ice Cream Truck (multiple locations)
- Cena by Michy
- The News Lounge
- BLT Steak (will reopen as LT Steak & Seafood)
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
- 305 Brews - Beer bar opening in midtown Miami
- 5411 Empanadas - From Chicago to Coral Gables
- Agave Taco Bar - Opening in Doral
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- The Avenue - British pub fare and American beer to open in Arts & Entertainment District
- Azucar - Opening near FIU
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Bikini Barista - Coming to midtown
- Bird & Bone - Richard Hales opening a chicken truck in Wynwood Yard
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Company - Opening in Doral
- Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill - Opening in Miami
BousaBrewing Co. - Brewery opening in Little River District
- The Broken Shaker - Opening in Los Angeles
- Cake Thai Kitchen - Opening in Wynwood
- Casa Florida - Opening at Roam Miami
- Employees Only - Famed New York City bar opening in Miami Beach
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again
- Freddo Helado - Opening in Doral
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood
- Graziano's - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- Groovin' Bean - Coffeehouse and lounge opening in Overtown
- Hank & Harry's - Buzzy Sklar to open New York-style deli in South Beach
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz expanding several locations
- Hydrate Medical Miami - Bringing IV cures to your door.
- IceBox Cafe - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- In The Kitchen With Norman van Aken - Opening at Wynwood Arcade
- Kiki on the River - Greek cuisine on the river
- Jugofresh Kitchen - Opening in Sunset Harbour
- Junior's - Iconic cheesecake and restaurant opening
- La Muse Cafe - Jamie DeRosa opening a Brickell café
- Latin House Grill - Opening near FIU
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland Mall and other locations
- Local Boy Poke - Opening in Wynwood
- Local 'Q - Barbecue concept by The Local
- Mediterranean Kitchen - Opening in Aventura
- Mojo Donuts & Fried Chicken - Coming to Westchester
- Ms. Cheezious - Planning expansion
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Palmeiras Beach Club - Opening in Coconut Grove
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant & Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell and Doral
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn Pizza - Coming to Upper Eastside
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pincho Factory - Opening several locations in Doral, West Kendall, Pinecrest
- PlugIn - Karaoke palace opening at Gulfstream
- Pubbelly Sushi - Opening
secondlocation at Brickell City Centre
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine
- Salty Donut - Doughnut shop coming to Wynwood
- Spanglish Ales - Another brewery to open in Wynwood
- Spring Chicken - Several other locations opening
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti
- Tacocraft - Opening in South Miami
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach
- Taste Buds of India - Coral Springs restaurant opening in South Miami
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter
- Tropical Barbecue - Kris Wessel returns with Little Haiti barbecue place
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon
- Unbranded Brewing Company - Hialeah's first brewery
- Union Beer - Beer to-go and bar opening in Little Havana
- Velvet Creme - Iconic doughnuts returning to Miami
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami
- Whole Foods Market - Proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour
- Zak the Baker - Planning an expansion of his café and bakery
Projects in the Works
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joël Robuchon is opening eateries in the Design District.
Wanjey, a partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell this year.
- Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth will open a seafood restaurant at the former PB Steak location in Sunset Harbour.
- Jose Garces is rumored to be opening a Miami restaurant.
- Alfredo Patino plans to open a French concept on 79th Street.
Embarek Alibaywill open a café adjacent to his La Parisienne Bakery (1909 NE 154th St., North Miami Beach).
- Geoffrey Zakarian mentioned opening a restaurant at the Diplomat in Hallandale Beach.
- Marcus Samuelsson and his team are going forward with a proposed restaurant in Overtown.
- A 38,000-square-foot Italian food market will open at Brickell City Centre.