In May, for example, more than two dozen restaurants, bars, and food trucks opened for business — a clear indication that a restaurant can certainly survive through the summer, thanks to Miami's transition of becoming a place to live rather than a resort town for tourists.
Notable openings include Matt
Many casual spots opened, including a second location of
Miami may just be seeing a food truck revival with the opening of
The most shocking news of the month happened yesterday when Cena by Michy closed its doors. Chef Michelle Bernstein and partner/husband David Martinez opened the restaurant as Michy's a decade ago, to critical and public acclaim. The restaurant proved successful not only for Bernstein but also for a multitude of chefs and industry professionals who went on to great success in other endeavors. The restaurant shuttered abruptly after the partners and the building owner apparently couldn't reach a lease agreement.
- Aldi (735 NE 167th St., North Miami Beach)
- All Day
- Baby Jane
- Blind Pig
- Bulla Gastrobar (5335 NW 87th Ave., Doral)
- Conch Shell Cafe (10245 Collins Ave., Bal Harbour)
CoyoTaco (1111 SW First Ave., Miami)
- CREAM (18719 Biscayne Blvd., Aventura)
- Doggi's Arepa Bar (7281 Biscayne Blvd., Miami)
- Faith & Pizza Pop-Up at Downtown Dadeland (7250 N Kendall Dr., Miami)
- The Fed
- Honeybee Doughnuts (7388 Red Rd., South Miami)
- JoJo Tea Tasting Room (951 S. LeJeune Rd. , Coral Gables)
KuenkoFood Truck at the Wynwood Yard
- Lincoln's Beard Brewing Company (7360 SW 41st St., Miami)
- Night Owl Cookie Co. (10742 SW 24th St., Miami)
- Poke 305 (169 SW 7 St., Miami)
- Quinto La Huella
- Raw Juice (19911 Biscayne Blvd., Aventura)
- The Spillover (2911 Grand Ave., Miami)
- Tap 42
- Wynwood Parlor Ice Cream Truck (multiple locations)
- Cena by Michy
- The News Lounge
- BLT Steak (will reopen as LT Steak & Seafood)
- 305 Brews - Beer bar opening in midtown Miami
- 5411 Empanadas - From Chicago to Coral Gables
- Agave Taco Bar - Opening in Doral
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- The Avenue - British pub fare and American beer to open in Arts & Entertainment District
- Azucar - Opening near FIU
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Bikini Barista - Coming to midtown
- Bird & Bone - Richard Hales opening a chicken truck in Wynwood Yard
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Company - Opening in Doral
- Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill - Opening in Miami
BousaBrewing Co. - Brewery opening in Little River District
- The Broken Shaker - Opening in Los Angeles
- Cake Thai Kitchen - Opening in Wynwood
- Casa Florida - Opening at Roam Miami
- Employees Only - Famed New York City bar opening in Miami Beach
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again
- Freddo Helado - Opening in Doral
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood
- Graziano's - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- Groovin' Bean - Coffeehouse and lounge opening in Overtown
- Hank & Harry's - Buzzy Sklar to open New York-style deli in South Beach
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz expanding several locations
- Hydrate Medical Miami - Bringing IV cures to your door.
- IceBox Cafe - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- In The Kitchen With Norman van Aken - Opening at Wynwood Arcade
- Kiki on the River - Greek cuisine on the river
- Jugofresh Kitchen - Opening in Sunset Harbour
- Junior's - Iconic cheesecake and restaurant opening
- La Muse Cafe - Jamie DeRosa opening a Brickell café
- Latin House Grill - Opening near FIU
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland Mall and other locations
- Local Boy Poke - Opening in Wynwood
- Local 'Q - Barbecue concept by The Local
- Mediterranean Kitchen - Opening in Aventura
- Mojo Donuts & Fried Chicken - Coming to Westchester
- Ms. Cheezious - Planning expansion
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Palmeiras Beach Club - Opening in Coconut Grove
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant & Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell and Doral
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn Pizza - Coming to Upper Eastside
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pincho Factory - Opening several locations in Doral, West Kendall, Pinecrest
- PlugIn - Karaoke palace opening at Gulfstream
- Pubbelly Sushi - Opening
secondlocation at Brickell City Centre
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine
- Salty Donut - Doughnut shop coming to Wynwood
- Spanglish Ales - Another brewery to open in Wynwood
- Spring Chicken - Several other locations opening
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti
- Tacocraft - Opening in South Miami
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach
- Taste Buds of India - Coral Springs restaurant opening in South Miami
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter
- Tropical Barbecue - Kris Wessel returns with Little Haiti barbecue place
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon
- Unbranded Brewing Company - Hialeah's first brewery
- Union Beer - Beer to-go and bar opening in Little Havana
- Velvet Creme - Iconic doughnuts returning to Miami
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami
- Whole Foods Market - Proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour
- Zak the Baker - Planning an expansion of his café and bakery
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joël Robuchon is opening eateries in the Design District.
Wanjey, a partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell this year.
- Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth will open a seafood restaurant at the former PB Steak location in Sunset Harbour.
- Jose Garces is rumored to be opening a Miami restaurant.
- Alfredo Patino plans to open a French concept on 79th Street.
Embarek Alibaywill open a café adjacent to his La Parisienne Bakery (1909 NE 154th St., North Miami Beach).
- Geoffrey Zakarian mentioned opening a restaurant at the Diplomat in Hallandale Beach.
- Marcus Samuelsson and his team are going forward with a proposed restaurant in Overtown.
- A 38,000-square-foot Italian food market will open at Brickell City Centre.