Miami Gardens Home for Migrant Children Might Have Mishandled 652 Kids, Feds Report

The U.S. government has been sending unaccompanied immigrant minors to a Miami Gardens shelter called His House Children’s Home since at least 2008. In the past decade, the facility has been reportedly investigated by child-welfare advocates for abuse and has been cited by the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) for “possibly” failing to follow policy when handling the cases of at least 652 children.

Hundreds Mourn XXXTentacion at Candlelight Vigil

Around sundown Tuesday, the 3600 block of North Dixie Highway in Deerfield Beach was lined with cars. Police blocked off a section of NE 37th Street just outside Riva Motorsports, where the controversial SoundCloud rapper XXXTentacion, born Jahseh Dwayne Onfroy, had been gunned down the previous day. Fans streamed in by the hundreds, holding white candles, balloons, and chalk to decorate the spot where he died.

Miami Beach Commissioner Threatens to Ban Child-Migrant Contractor From City Business

Running a detention camp for migrant children taken from their parents is not great for PR. Two days after New Times broke news that the Trump administration had quietly sent more than 1,000 migrant children to a guarded compound in Homestead, Miami Beach Commissioner Ricky Arriola is threatening to ban one of the contractors running the facility, Comprehensive Health Services, from doing business in his city.

Politicians Were Told in February That Miami Child-Migrant Compound Would Open

Florida Gov. Rick Scott has responded to news of a child-migrant camp opening in his state by, in part, throwing a bunch of other politicians under the bus. In a two-page letter to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) yesterday, Scott disclosed that “Florida’s congressional delegation” and “state and local officials” were told…

Miami’s “Prince of Darkness” Attempts Hostile Takeover of Historic Preservation Group

In recent years, the Miami Design Preservation League has become one of the loudest voices against harmful development across the county. It has battled gentrification in Little Havana, the trend of McMansions replacing historic homes, and a plan to turn the Miami Beach Community Church courtyard into a retail store. In many cases, the scrappy nonprofit has challenged the county’s biggest developers and lobbyists.

Scott Gave Tax Deal to Company Running Miami’s Child-Migrant Center After Fraud Settlement

In Homestead, a federal compound housing as many as 1,000 migrant children is managed in part by a federal contractor based in Cape Canaveral called Comprehensive Health Services, which has held a contract at the Homestead camp since February 2018. Sen. Bill Nelson says 94 children at Comprehensive Health’s facility have been taken from their parents by U.S. immigration agents.

Sen. Bill Nelson to Tour Homestead Compound Housing 1,000 Migrant Children

After New Times yesterday broke the news that President Trump’s Office of Refugee Resettlement had quietly reopened a heavily guarded compound outside Miami and placed an estimated 1,000 children there, reporters descended. Security guards at the facility first threatened a New Times journalist with arrest and later did the same to reporters for the Miami Herald and WPLG, who stuck around to photograph the site near Homestead Air Reserve Base.

Rapper XXXTentacion Shot Dead in Broward County

XXXTentacion, a sensational rapper whose skyrocketing career was rocked by criminal charges of domestic abuse, was shot dead in Deerfield Beach this afternoon. TMZ first reported the shooting, which was later confirmed by the Broward Sheriff’s Office. Witnesses on the scene posted graphic images of the rapper motionless in the driver’s seat of a BMW. BSO pronounced him dead around 5:40 p.m.

Feds Holding 1,000 Migrant Children at Miami-Area Compound, Lawmaker Says

Roughly 1,000 migrant children are being held inside a secured compound in Homestead, U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz said today. It’s unclear whether the children crossed the border on their own or whether they were taken from their parents under President Trump’s new policy, which the United Nations says violates international law and which Catholic leaders have decried as “evil.”