Florida Woman Dies From Being Exposed to Toxic Fumes at a Georgia McDonald's

Yesterday at a McDonald's restaurant in Pooler, Georgia a woman died and nine people had to be taken to the hospital after inhaling toxic fumes inside the restaurant.

I know what you're thinking, and no, the chemical fumes were not coming from the kitchen. So far, police believe chemicals from cleaning supplies inside one of the restaurant's bathrooms are at fault.

Two women, including Anne Felton, 80, of Ponte Vedra, who eventually died, and Carol Barry, 56, of Jacksonville, were found unconscious in the bathroom. Three others, including a 50 year old Savannah woman and her two sons were found sick. Overall nine people were hospitalized including the five customers, three firefighters and one employee. Fourteen employees had to be decontaminated by firefighters in the parking lot.

McDonald's employees are reported to have gotten everyone out efficiently (at least faster than they process a drive-through order) and preventing further potential fatalities. An autopsy will be performed on Felton's remains today to determine exactly what happened.

The restaurant reopened as soon as authorities considered the threat to be over.

CNN reports that the owners of that particular franchise location, John and Monique Palmaccio, issued the following statement: "(We) are deeply saddened by this tragic incident...the safety of our customers and employees has and will continue to be our number one concern."

Well, I guess we can all breathe easier now.

Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Miami.


Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Miami.