^
Keep New Times Free
4

Forecasters Say 2017's Hurricane Season Will Be Worse Than Normal

A warming climate means warmer oceans. And increasingly, research suggests that warmer oceans mean more hurricanes — and more powerful ones, too.

So not only is Miami set to flood thanks to climate change by the year 2100, the city's skirmishes with hurricanes are likely to become more frequent and more damaging. Case in point: The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration today released its forecast for the 2017 hurricane season, and it looks like this year is going to be one heck of a ride, thanks to extrawarm temperatures across the Atlantic Ocean and the lack of any discernible "El Niño" this fall, which works to suppress hurricanes.

"The outlook reflects our expectation of a weak or nonexistent El Niño, near- or above-average sea-surface temperatures across the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, and average or weaker-than-average vertical wind shear in that same region,” Gerry Bell, the lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, said in a news release.

According to NOAA, there's a 45 percent chance this Atlantic hurricane season is worse than normal. That's compared to a 35 percent chance we'll have an average year and only a 20 percent chance that things are below average. Forecasters say there's a 70 percent shot we get 11 to 17 "named" storms, which means any tropical cyclone with more than 39 mph winds.

While the term "named storm" includes smaller tropical storms, NOAA also predicts five to nine full-blown hurricanes in the Atlantic basin this year, and two to four "major" storms like last year's Hurricane Matthew, which just missed South Florida.

In today's release, NOAA ceded that climate models do show "considerable uncertainty" as to how bad the season will actually be, so take the warning with a relative grain of salt.

That said, the latest forecast is yet another sign that Florida's streak of sunny luck (no pun intended) when it comes to hurricanes is likely coming to a close. Before Hurricane Hermine last year, the state hadn't been hit by a hurricane at all since Wilma in 2005 tore through huge parts of Miami-Dade County. But with rising ocean temperatures, rising seas, and an overall unstable and shifting climate, it's unlikely the state will hit a full decade of good fortune again.

I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Miami and help keep the future of New Times free.

As such, Florida's future makes the cuts the Trump administration has proposed to NOAA's satellite division all the more absurd. In March, Trump's Office of Management and Budget, led by the conscience-less Mick Mulvaney, proposed slashing millions from NOAA's weather satellite division, since that office has conducted some landmark climate-change research in the past.

In addition, that budget proposal suggested ripping away funding from literally every single federal program designed to study or combat global warming. But Congress largely rejected those proposals, and Trump signed a budget May 5 to avoid a government shutdown.

But earlier this week, Trump released his budget request for the following year — and, yet again, he's proposed slashing NOAA's satellite arm by 17 percent. Climate scientists have called the move extremely dangerous, and, given the outlook for 2017 alone, it's hard not to agree.

Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Miami.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Miami.