Did you know that 4/20 isn't just a day for getting stoned? It's also that time of year when millions of human beings all around the world light a plant on fire at the same time, fewer people get killed, and more food is cooked.
Yes, the world is a much chiller place for 24 hours. Celebrate with music. Here are Miami's top ten 4/20 parties.
10. Yanni. 8 p.m. Friday, April 20, and Saturday, April 21, at the Adrienne Arsht Center's Knight Concert Hall, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722; arshtcenter.org. Tickets cost $49.50 to $119.50 plus fees. He has performed for over two million people at a time in 20-plus countries while also collecting 35 platinum records. So smoke a spliff and let this pioneer of electronic sit-down music take you on a journey, man. Like, an epic, two-hour, 3D movie trailer in surround sound.
9. Tobacco Road's 420 Fest. With Panther Sequoia, Graham Drout, Sanna Varnna, The Incredible Squintz, Cadillack Creeps, and others. 6 p.m. Friday, April 20, at Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave., Miami; 305-374-1198; tobacco-road.com. Admission costs $5. Ages 21 and up. This party offers the best stoner food in town. (Shout out to The Road's legendary bar burger.) Plus, there's gonna be over 20 bands on three separate stages. Oh, and a $50 spliff rolling contest using, um, tobacco. But you could always smoke a fatty from your own stash if you win, right?
8. Skid Row. With Modern Superstar. 6 p.m. Friday, April 20, at Revolution Live, 200 W. Broward Blvd., Fort Lauderdale; 954-449-1025 ; jointherevolution.net. Tickets cost $22 plus fees via ticketmaster.com. Back in the day these "Youths Gone Wild" went so far past 420 it's a surprise they survived the '80s. Between the cocaine, strippers, and their manager's drug trafficking, smoking a fat one to hair metal in 2012 is awesome. Well, if you're older than 40.
Resale Concert Tickets
7. Gipsy Kings. 8 p.m. Friday, April 20, at James L. Knight Center, 400 SE Second Ave. Miami; 305-372-4634; jlkc.com . Tickets cost $48 to $123 plus fees via ticketmaster.com. Getting high to gipsy music is a tradition that goes back centuries. And these dudes are from Spain, where massive parking lot parties called the "botellón" are how you should get down for pre-game, with a bag of weed and a bottle of wine.
6. ArtOfWar305's 4/20 Rap Battles. With Rugged and the Benchwarmers, P-Ro vs. Johnny Black, Spyder Murphy vs. Dropz, Federal Ranga vs. 21, and others. 6 p.m. Friday, April 20, at EVE, 1306 N. Miami Ave., Miami; 305-995-5050; miamieve.com. Admission costs $10. Ages 21 and up. Rap and comedy go together like herb and fire. So get high and watch people make fun of each other at this stoner holiday edition of ArtOfWar305. Plus, Art Morera, Geek Squad, Ron Slyda, Silent Hand, and Lil Gunna are gonna be hotboxing Eve's other party room all night. Spark it.
5. Tabou Combo. As part of Big Night in Little Haiti, presented by Rhythm Foundation. 6 p.m. Friday, April 20, at Little Haiti Cultural Center, 212-260 NE 59th Terr., Miami; 305-672-5202; bignightlittlehaiti.com. Admission is free. The show is free. So ... More weed money! And the voudou mixed with funk that these big timers throw down will get you in a beat zone so, so, so far away that you won't even notice all the cops and families. Read Crossfade's interview with Tabou Combo's Yvon "Kapi" Andre about Jimmy Buffett, royalties, and restaveks.
4. Rammstein. 8 p.m. Friday, April 20, at BankAtlantic Center, One Panther Pkwy., Sunrise; 954-835-7825; bankatlanticcenter.com . Tickets cost $35 to $78 plus fees via ticketmaster.com. This nihilist industrial metal band from Germany is known to have one of the most killer live shows on the world concert circuit. Expect more fiery explosions than a Die Hard marathon.
3. Smut Peddlers. With Unit Six, Stay Hitt, and The 707, presented by Mother Henry and This Is Not Dead. 9 p.m. Friday, April 20, at Churchill's Pub, 5501 NE Second Ave., Miami; 305-757-1807; churchillspub.com. Admission costs $10. Ages 21 and up. The Peddlers are a punk rock band California, where you can buy medical weed in a vending machine. They're on MTV's Jackass soundtrack. They play loud, fast, and hard. They wanna party with you. So go smoke and hit the circle pit.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
2. Stonerz 4/20 Fest. With DJ Lance-O, Jahfe, Art Morera, Alligator City, Lunch Money, Mixed Culture, and others. 10 p.m. Friday, April 20, at The Stage, 170 NE 38th St., Miami; 305-576-9577; thestagemiami.com. Admission costs $10 to $15. Ages 21 and up. Kulcha Shok Music's Lance-O has locked down Miami's best reggae band, Jahfe, for this Midtown party. Get high, vibe out, and eat a ton of grub from Jamaican and vegan food trucks.
1. Moksha Roots Live. With Telekinetic Walrus, Nag Champayons, Prinsip Band, and others. 10 p.m. Friday, April 20, at 7th Circuit Studios, 228 NE 59th St., Miami; 305-757-7277; moshkafamily.org. Admission costs $10 to $15. Ages 21 and up. Yo, herb eater! The trippiest party moment of your entire THC-soaked day will go down at 4:20 in the morning when electronic alchemists Telekinetic Walrus drop some heavy ish to officially release their new album, The Grand Creator's Eternal Light and The Vanquishing of The Immortal Wicked Ones (A Short Story). It's gonna be total reefer madness.