This is the season we've been waiting
patiently impatiently for since the boiling heat sapped the last of our summertime good cheer. Now the trade winds are blowing, the humidity has plummeted, and life is pretty perfect.
Sadly, winter weekends fly by in a breeze, but luckily the in-season awesomeness isn't limited to Saturday and Sunday. There are all kinds of fun, free events to get you through the workweek too.
- Magic Mondays at University Metrorail Station: This new weekly bike ride winds its way through some of Miami's most charming neighborhoods. Just think, as you're riding comfortably, sun shining and breeze blowing, your friends in NYC are freezing their asses off.
- Free entrance to state and national parks: On Veteran's Day, we all reap the benefits of our soldiers' service via gratis admission to Everglades National Park and Dry Tortugas National Park.
- Second-Annual Thanksgiving Paw Drive at Taurus: Few causes are worthier than homeless pups and kitties. Folks at Miami-Dade Animal Services will collect towels, blankets, treats, and sheets for the dogs and cats at the shelter, and they'll have adorable adoptables onsite too.
- Zine-o-Mania at MDC-MOAD: Explore the world of print fan-zine genres, from politics to musics, with selections from the University of Miami Special Collections.
- Grove Green Market in the Coconut Grove Playhouse parking lot: The wintertime ode to all things local and artisanal is open for business once again. Hear live tunes, support Coconut Grove businesses, and meet Miami's newest upbeat addition: the Happy Wall.
- Copyright and Dance at Inkub8: Despite the fact that humans have been dancing since they crawled out of the primordial ooze, music has been protected by copyright law for only a few decades. Join a convo with Cannonball's LegalLink Coordinator, Allyn Ginns, about the ins and outs of the issue.
- Little Havana Art Walk at the Futurama Building: Forget the touristy madness of Wynwood and head to one of Miami's oft-overlooked artistic neighborhoods. Expect food and entertainment, in addition to the art, to keep you busy.
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahgetshappy.
Send your story tips to Cultist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.