Mondays are even more oppressive in the summertime, when our thoughts turn to beach days, boat time and booze. Cubicles and fun in the sun are like Rick Scott and progressive politics -- morally opposed. Sigh.
But despite the arrival of our least favorite day of the week, we still have lots to look forward to. Ice cream and art walk, to name a few. That's worth celebrating.
- Free wine Mondays at Whole Foods Miami Beach: If you've got a case of the Mondays, wine is pretty much the perfect cure.
- Free yoga at Bayfront Park: Start the week with some zen-like behavior ... before you begin the downward slide into debauchery.
- Scoops & Spoons at Gulfstream Park: Ice cream and summer are the quintessential couple -- and on Wednesdays, you can score some sweet treats for free, no screams required.
- First Friday at Miami Science Museum: Get August off to a scientific start by learning a thing or two about Mother Nature. She's a smart broad.
- First Friday Art Walk in Downtown Miami: Stroll the streets of our city's burgeoning downtown arts district and check out impressive pieces you'll probably never be able to afford.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.