Christmas is right around the corner, which means it's time to nail down that dinner menu if you don't want to be poring through Pinterest when you should be opening presents.
And in the name of feeding your guests something healthier than cream pies or ice cream sundaes, nutrient rich is the key phrase when it comes to dessert. Vegan chef and author Mark Reinfeld has a recipe for a killer raw pecan pie that's both healthy AND delicious. Check it out after the jump.
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 1 1/4 cups medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup date/raisin soak water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom or nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup pecans
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Make the crust by placing the crust ingredients in a food processor fitted with an S-shaped blade. Blend on high speed for 30 to 40 seconds or until mixture sticks together and runs up the sides without falling into the center.
- Press crust into a pie pan, making a layer around the bottom and sides at least 1/4-inch thick. (No need to oil the pan.)
- For the filling, place 1 cup of the dates and all of the raisins in a small bowl with filtered water. Allow to soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup dates, soaked dates, raisins, 1/2 cup soak water, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, and maple syrup in a blender and blend on high speed until a thick, relatively smooth mixture forms.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust and layer the top with remaining 1/2 cup pecans. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. You want the pie chilled so it keeps its form when sliced.
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahgetshappy.