Years ago, Miami was considered a resort town with a definite season. After Easter, it was assumed tourists and snowbirds would all go home and the sidewalks would roll up, but no more. If you look at the number of restaurants opening in May, you'll see that our city has, indeed, become a year-round place to live, work, and play.
Some notable openings this year include the soft opening of Tom Colicchio's Beachcraft, which is now only serving breakfast and brunch, and Cena by Michy, Michelle Bernstein's revamp of her much beloved Michy's. Also, Coconut Grove's caffeine scene just got an upgrade with the opening of Panther Coffee.
May's restaurant closings included a few shockers. Restaurateur/chef Douglas Rodriguez closed DeRodriguez and Khong River House uprooted itself, with a plan to move to Miami's MiMo District or Little Haiti.
- Beachcraft at 1 Hotel South Beach
Cena by Michy
- Concrete Beach Brewery
- Ella (Palm Court at 140 NE 39th St.)
- Fornaro (2750 SW 26th Ave.)
- Mr. & Mrs. Bun (15572 Sunset Dr.)
- Panther Coffee Coconut Grove
- Lulu's Nitrogen Ice Cream
- DeRodriguez Miami
- Khong River House
- La Gloutonnerie
- Oak Tavern
- 9 Beach - Restaurant/lounge opening in South Beach.
- AC Hotel - Coming to Miami Beach.
- Aldi - Low cost market coming to Biscayne Blvd.
- Apeiro Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Midtown.
- Bachour Bakery and Bistro - The master baker opens a bistro.
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
Beacon Hill Chocolates
- Bikini Barista - coming to midtown.
- Brasserie Azur - The Villa Azur people opening a spot in Midtown Miami.
- Byblos - Opening at the Royal Palm Miami.
- Centro Taco - Richard Hales opening a taco restaurant.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Choices Cafe - Opening in Coconut Grove.
- Continental - Stephen Starr's retro Philadelphia restaurant coming to Miami.
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- Della Bowls - Plant based fast casual.
- Deck 16 - Opening at Hyatt Centric South Beach.
- Drinkhouse Fire & Ice - Ice bar opening in South Beach.
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Farinelli 1937 - Upscale pizza by the owners of Strada.
- Firito Taco - Opening on 79th St.
- Freddo Helado - Opening second location in Brickell and one in Doral.
- Freshii - Opening a second Miami location at International Mall.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz to open location in Coconut Grove.
- Izzy's Fish & Oyster - Chef Jamie DeRosa plans a New England fish shack.
- Jimmy'z Kitchen - Opening in Brickell.
- Jugofresh - Opening at North Miami Beach.
- La Divina - Gastro Lounge Coming to Brickell.
- La Moderna - Opening in SoBe.
- Laffa Mediterranean Kitchen - From the My Ceviche team.
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland and other locations.
- Lewellyn's Chicken & Biscuits - 50 Eggs doing fast casual chicken near UM.
- The Lunchbox - Opening in Wynwood.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Mister Block - Coffee shop in Wynwood.
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown, MIA, and Coral Gables.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Nobu - Famed chef opens restaurant on Miami Beach.
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant and Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex.
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti.
- PB Station - The Pubbelly Boys open in Miami.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pisco y Nazca Ceviche Gastrobar - From the folks at Bulla.
- Quinto La Huella - Uruguay's Parador La Huella coming to Miami.
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn pizza coming to Upper Eastside.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Red Ginger - Asian flair coming to South Beach.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- Sugar Factory - Opening on Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road.
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti.
- Sunny's - Spike Mendelsohn opening a place in Miami Beach.
- The Spillover - LoKal explores the sea.
- Sweet Liberty Drink & Supply Company - Mixologist John Lermayer and partners to open a cocktail lounge.
- Talde - Dale Talde to open Asian-inspired cuisine at Thompson Miami Beach Hotel.
- Tantalize - Opening in SoBe.
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables.
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter.
- Total Wine & More - Opening in South Beach.
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami.
- Whole Foods Market - proposed mega store in Sunset Harbour.
- Wynwood Diner - Classic diner and cocktails opening in Wynwood.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer to opening a Miami Beach location.
- Jugofresh's Matthew Sherman and Darren Laszlo plan to open new concept in Sunset Harbour.
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joel Robuchon and Jean-George Vongerichten are both opening eateries in the Design District
- Arjun Wanjey, partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell in the coming year.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.