At around 2 p.m. yesterday, a maid walked into a room at the Hialeah motel at which she worked and discovered the bodies of five dead teenagers. WSVN reports that police believe the deaths were a result of a tragic accident.
Names and identities of the victims have not been released, but the teens were all believed to be between 16 and 19. Updated.
The teens were staying at the Presidente Motel, at 1395 SE 8th Court, to celebrate one of the group member's birthdays. The Presidente features a unique set up in which most rooms are directly over private garages.
Friends who had been with the group before they died tell police that the teens had decided to leave their car running in the closed garage below their room. They were worried that they couldn't get the car going in the morning. Unfortunately, leaving a car running in a closed garage is a recipe for disaster.
The carbon monoxide from the engine wafted up into the group's room and killed all five teens while they were sleeping.
Everyone else in the motel was evacuated, and investigators will look into the safety of the ventilation system at the Presidente.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.