4
| Crime |

Carlos Bertonatti Released On Key Biscayne House Arrest After Posting Bond

^
Keep New Times Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Miami and help keep the future of New Times free.

Last we heard from Carlos Bertonatti -- the handsome, would-be pop singer accused of killing a biker on the Rickenbacker Causeway while drunkenly speeding home from Club Space -- his bond had been revoked after prosecutors said he was a flight risk who had lied about owning multiple passports.

Well, Bertonatti is now back out of the slammer, released to house arrest in Key Biscayne after his lawyer proved that the multiple passport flap was an ICE mistake and his family put up ten percent of his $500,000 bond.

A little after 8 a.m. on January 17, police say a speeding Bertonatti drifted onto the shoulder of Bear Cut Bridge -- the last link on the causeway before Key Biscayne -- and slammed into Christophe Le Canne, a 44-year-old cyclist.

Bertonatti hit the gas and sped on toward his family's condo, leading police on a brief chase through the island with Le Canne's bike wedged under his bumper before his arrest. Police later said he was doing 80 mph on the bridge and that his blood-alcohol content was .122, over the legal limit of .08.

In a bizarre twist, his initial $100,000 bond was revoked in February, when prosecutors said he'd lied about having a second passport issued by Argentina, his father's homeland -- and suggested he may actually have a third, Romanian passport.

Turns out, they were wrong. ICE officials testified at Bertonatti's bond hearing last Monday that their database was incorrect, and that in fact he had only a single passport from Venezuela.

After that, Judge Jackie Scola allowed Bertonatti's family to post $50,000 and freed him with an electronic ankle monitor to the family's Key Biscayne home, says Leonard Sands, Bertonatti's lawyer.

"It was very difficult for the family to put together this bond. We're dealing

with this case, now, and we're ready to go forward," Sands tells Riptide.

Ed Griffith, a spokesman for the State Attorney's Office, says his office was satisfied that they set a higher bond for Bertonatti than the recommended $7,500.

"We were successful in convincing the court that his flight risk was a real possibility," Griffith says. "He is entitled to post bond under the law. He isn't catching any breaks in this case."

Bertonatti's trial is set for February 22.

Follow Miami New Times on Facebook and Twitter @MiamiNewTimes.

Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Miami.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Miami.