The best time of the week is finally here: the weekend. Miami offers just about every activity this weekend. On the music front, you can catch Jamie XX at Mana Wynwood, Juanes at the American Airlines Arena, A$AP Rocky at Mana Wynwood, Gorgon City at Story, and Hard 2 Leave at E11even Miami. Israeli party boy Guy Gerber will be crashing the 1 Hotel South Beach today for Basel too. On Sunday, check out Basel Miami Flea at Canvas Miami. The third edition of the flea-market event is all about art, activities, and aesthetics. As in years past, local vendors will sell unique handmade and vintage goods, while interactive options — including workshops, mind and body classes, and live demonstrations — will keep guests busy too.
Here's a glimpse at what our city has to offer this weekend, so get up and get ready for another memorable, Miami-style weekend.
- Jazz Roots: Kenny G 2015 Holiday Show at Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts: Everyone’s favorite soprano saxophonist, Kenny G, will head to the Arsht Center for its Jazz Roots series for an evening of holiday classics reinvented in the great tradition of smooth jazz. G (a true G, if there ever was one) is credited with almost single-handedly bringing his type of smooth jazz into the mainstream, which began with his 1982 self-titled studio album.
- Cannonball’s Open Studios at Cannonball: Providing a contrast to the Basel hyperactivity, Cannonball’s Open Studios invites the public to experience a behind-the-scenes view of ideas still looking for their material form and reveals how the artists negotiate the constraints of media, the evasive nature of ideas, and the demand for novel visual vocabularies. Local artists-in-residence Sofia Bastidas, Guillermo Leon Gomez, and Matthew Evan Taylor, as well as visiting artist-in-residence Heidi Neilson, will open their studios to the public Friday.
- Jamie XX at Mana Wynwood: While Art Basel itself is an annual art show that takes place at the Miami Beach Convention Center — what Art Basel really means to most locals is parties and free wine. Oh, and some music, too. Like, a lot of really good music. You might still be recovering from October's III Points, but the festival isn't done with you yet. This year, as part of their annual Art Basel Concert Series, III Points is returning to Mana Wynwood on December 4 with headliners Jamie xx and Four Tet.
- Juanes at American Airlines Arena: A man of firsts, Grammy-winning cantante Juanes made history as el primer Latino to rock The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and The Today Show. "It's marvelous," he recalls. "Ever since , we've had the opportunity to show up on many American shows and to perform in Spanish. Now, there's more tolerance and respect for our countries. It's a huge dream to be in New York, and I think it's part of what's happening in our countries."
- Cucu Diamantes at El Tucán: Art Basel Miami Beach is as much about music as it is about art. And for its first-ever ABMB, El Tucán is celebrating with three nights of música featuring Grammy-nominated muscician Cucu Diamantes, who will be making her way to Miami from Cuba.
- Rumors Art Basel at 1 Hotel South Beach: Israeli party boy Guy Gerber will be crashing the 1 Hotel South Beach this week for Basel. "I like making music that has more essence and isn’t a tool, per se," the DJ recently told New Times. "A club track is a tool with a proper intro, middle, and ending. It has to have the proper beginning and ending so other DJs can work with it. I want something that will stand the test of time." Let's hope this week's set goes down in history.
- Look Alive Fest at Churchill's Pub: Still breathing? Good. 'Cause Look Alive Fest is back. In 2013, this "homegrown, alternative festival" popped up for its inaugural, two-night Art Basel Miami Beach week edition with Detroit noise-rocker Wolf Eyes, Houston's Indian Jewelry, and a bunch of locals like Teepee, Cop City/Chill Pillars, Lil Daggers, and Nerve City. Now for Basel 2015, Look Alive's added another night to the rock, punk, and metal festivities.
- Miami Hearts Design at Made at the Citadel: Located in "the intersection of high-impact contemporary art and dynamic and inspired design," Superfine! "transcends the usual art and design event by creating a fully immersive environment designed to maximize interaction with diverse publics." And during the Miami Hearts Design showcase, the collective is inviting the creatives of the city to check out a 3,000-square-foot installation by artist Diego Montoya while vibing out to fresh tunes by Afrobeta, Millionyoung, and Bedside.
- Domino Tournament at Prizm Art Fair: It is the collective’s way of getting the word out about the game (not that they need much help here in the Magic City). Bien Conectao hopes to inspire you to head out and enjoy a few rounds during Miami Art Week as part of its Domino Tournament this Saturday, in partnership with the Prizm Art Fair (7300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami). Players will compete for tons of awesome prizes, such as Jet Blue flight packages and more. The tournament begins at noon and continues through 7 p.m. Registration is required. Visit prizmartfair.com.
- Corona's Electric Beach at The Clevelander Hotel: Miami will always be a place where you can enjoy the beach vibes, especially during the winter time. Riding along with the sunny weather, Corona's Electric Beach is going to be hitting Miami Art Week with special DJ performances and better yet, a live art installation. While Corona brings in the ambient colors of music and art, this epic pool party will be one to remember. With Craze, Astronomar, Ape Drums, TJ Mizell, and live art by Dasic.
- Art Basel Masquerade Party at Tantalize: The phrase “dinner and a show” often conjures images of steak specials and wholesome musicals, a typical date setup totally ignored in Miami. South Florida likes a bit more excitement on the weekend, and Miami Beach establishment Tantalize knows how to tease, please, and feed adventuresome souls.
- The Tribe Art Show at Vinos in the Grove: Opening night of new Art Show, "The TRIBE", featuring renown Puerto Rican Artists, Edgard Rodriguez Luiggi, Fernando Mora and Juan Pablo Vizcaino, with Photography by Bryan Alexander Downing. Show will take place during Coconut Grove's F.A.M. (fashion, art, music) night and Art Basel weekend. There will be amazing paintings, sculpted masks and a free wine tasting to help highlight the evening.
- Crew Love: Art Basel at Electric Pickle: "First Ya Gotta Shake the Gate," then you gotta do the Running Man and finish off with the MC Hammer dance. That, friends, is the key to crashing the Crew Love Art Basel rager. With funky tunes by Soul Clap, PillowTalk, Nick Monaco, Navid Izadi, Jeremy Ismael, and Miami Players Club, you'll be dancin' from dusk to dawn.
- A$AP Rocky at Mana Wynwood: III Points announced Saturday's lineup at Mana, and — spoiler alert — it's dope. A$AP Rocky, Kaytranada, and french producer Stwo will serenade the people of Art Basel on Saturday, December 5.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Gorgon City at Story: Before joining creative forces as Gorgon City, Kye Gibbon and Matt Robson-Scott were already celebrated DJ-producers in their own right. Going by Foamo and RackNRuin, respectively, the two came up as part of London's beloved Black Butter artist collective and label, which also spawned the likes of Rudimental and international chart-topping quartet Clean Bandit.
- Hard 2 Leave at E11even Miami: Hard 2 Leave always makes it, well, Hard 2 Leave. And as the last Art Basel party of 2015, the Team No Sleep crew at E11even Miami is bringing Fool's Gold DJ A-Trak to the Magic City for one last night of shenanigans. Long live Basel!