A few months ago, New Times scouted out the best yoga studios across Miami. We found traditional and intimate spots, as well as spaces that prefer to downward-dog in midair (yes, acrobatic or aerial-style yoga is a real thing). Unfortunately, many of the studios shared one crucial trait: They're ridiculously expensive. Most classes average $30 to $40, an amount many of us would rather not pay for an hourlong sweat session.
But in typical New Times fashion, we're here with a solution: free yoga for all.
No, this isn't a scam or an April Fool's prank. Miami, though home to some of the priciest things around (parking, food, and rent, to name a few), has a sizable number of locations offering free yoga. From beach sessions to parks, indoor studios, and large yogi gatherings, here are 14 places to satisfy your namaste craving without the guilt of paying a hefty price. Be sure to pack a mat, water, and a towel, because most of these spots don't provide accessories.
14. 3rd Street Beach Yoga in Miami Beach: In an effort to make yoga accessible and affordable to all, 3rd Street Beach Yoga offers sessions in Miami Beach every day of the week, free of charge. Monday through Sunday, find classes at 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. (in fall and winter) and 6 p.m. (in spring and summer). If there's rain, thunder, lightning, or a temperature below 55 degrees, expect class to be canceled.
13. Green Monkey Yoga at North Shore Park Bandshell: Get the benefits of a Green Monkey yoga class sans the cost. Mondays and Wednesdays at Collins Park and the North Shore Bandshell on 72nd Street, find a free session beginning at 6 p.m. For more information, call 305-673-7730.
12. Yoga at South Pointe Park: Also sponsored by Green Monkey Yoga, South Pointe Park in South Beach hosts free hourlong classes Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6 p.m. For more information, call 305-673-7730.
11. Meditation and Yoga at the North Miami Public Library: Every Thursday, find a free yoga and meditation classes led by Lawrence Huff. Class runs from 6:15 to 7:15. For more information, contact Huff at 305-926-3578 or the library at 305-891-5535.
10. Athleta at the Village of Merrick Park in Coral Gables: Women's athletic-clothing store Athleta offers free yoga at its Merrick Park location Saturdays a few times a month. Find free yoga at the store's Lincoln Road location too. For more information, check the store's monthly calendar.
9. Yoga at West Dade Regional Library: On Tuesdays, West Dade Regional Library offers yoga for kids at 6:30 p.m., followed by hatha yoga for adults at 7. For more information, call 305-553-1134.
8. Yoga at Riviera Park in Coral Gables: Thanks to the FREEdOM Flow Project, Riviera Park in Coral Gables (6611 Yumuri St., Coral Gables) hosts yoga sessions Wednesdays at 6 p.m. For more information, call 305-446-6800.
7. SoundScape Park at the New World Center: Once a month, SoundScape Park features a namaste session free of charge. Classes usually land on Saturdays at 9 a.m. The 2016-17 schedule is expected to be available at the beginning of fall.
6. Nago Yoga in South Beach and Little Haiti: Welcoming new and experiences yogis, the studio offers classes in South Beach and Little Haiti. Thursdays from 6 to 7 p.m., find a free class at the Little Haiti Cultural Center, and on Fridays from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m., head to 14th Street at Ocean Drive.
5. Sunday Yoga at the Mondrian South Beach: Overlook Biscayne Bay during the Mondrian's weekly yoga class, compliments of Green Monkey Yoga. Classes run from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., and all attendees can take advantage of 20 percent off hotel spa services as well as eats from the hotel's cafe. Snag free refreshments by Marlee's Green Tea after class too. To RSVP, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Gratitude Fridays at Rina Yoga: The first and third Friday of every month from 6 to 7 p.m., find a free yoga class. The studio is located on the second floor of 2490 Coral Way, Miami. For more information, call 305-856-9642.
3. Weekly Yoga at Bayfront Park: Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday, find free yoga at the Tina Hills Pavilion near the south side of Bayfront Park. Classes generally run for an hour and 15 minutes. For more information, call 305-358-7550.
2. Yoga in Wynwood: In collaboration with Love Life Wellness Center, free yoga takes place every second and fourth Saturday at Wynwood Walls (2520 NW Second Ave., Miami). Classes run from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. For more information, call 305-456-4148.
1. Weekly Yoga at Peacock Park and the Mayfair Hotel Rooftop: Courtesy of Dharma Studio, every Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m., enjoy a complimentary class at Peacock Park in Coconut Grove, or visit the Mayfair Hotel rooftop every Saturday from 8 to 9 a.m. for a morning session. For more information, call 305-461-5506.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.