30 Rock's 24 Best Florida Jokes
Tonight 30 Rock ends its seven-season run as one of America's most acclaimed, and least watched sitcoms.
Anyone who did watch though probably picked up on the show's numerous references to Florida through out the years. There are some shows set in Florida that didn't even mention our complicated penis of a state as much. With regular character Jenna Maroney being conceived in a Tampa bathroom stall and growing up here, and Jack Donaghy's mother Colleen being one of Florida's numerous ornery retirees, the show never missed a chance to poke fun at our state. Here are our 24 favorite Sunshine State references.
1. Jack explaining why he's going on a trip to Miami
2. Jenna demonstrating how to react to insults about ones Florida heritage with grace and dignity.
3. Jack on the entire population of Florida.
4. Coleen, Jack's mother, on dating a married man.
5. Jack explaining how women in Miami are so hot they have their own standards.
6. Pete trying to persuade Liz to take the show to Miami for a week.
7. Pete, after learning the Miami plan is off, but he's already bought the official uniform of Northeastern white dads visiting Miami.
8. Jenna's mother, Verna, inviting Jack to a "fancy restaurant" for Jenna's birthday, and reminding him of the intricacies of Florida's black-tie dress code.
9. Jack's recently deceased mother's lesbian partner explaining Florida hospitality. "Is blue all right?"
10. Jack's attempt to use Florida's 911 system.
11. And his reaction afterward.
12. Tracy comes to the conclusion on which state would tip the 2012 election.
13. Jack comes to the same conclusion.
14. Tracy's unique take on Florida's political scene:
15. And his impression of South Florida.
16. Jack's take on Central Florida.
17. And both's conclusion on the population of North Florida.
18. Liz explaining what idiots have contributed to the world.
19. Jenna on attending Florida's finest acting school.
20. And the presumed fate of that school (we're still sorry about it).
21. Liz's boyfriend, Carol, on proper travel attire. (By the way, strip clubs are actually illegal in Tallahassee, which is probably for the best.)
22. In a dream sequence "Future Jack" informs Jack of Liz's possible future if she marries her Dennis "Beeper King" Duffey.
23. Jack reacts:
24. Liz's first reaction to learning she's going to Florida.
Yes, we tried to make it to 30, and there's probably enough material, but you know, we're Floridians. Sorry. Though, you can always read up on the history of Jenna's sordid sex life with Miami native Mickey Rourke if you'd like.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Dem Senate Leader Tells Alan Grayson to Drop Out of Florida Senate Race
Fri., Feb. 19, 6:00pm
Sat., Feb. 20, 2:00pm
Sat., Feb. 20, 4:00pm
Sat., Feb. 20, 7:00pm
- 260 Exotic Animals Have Escaped in Florida in the Past Decade
- Why Qatar Might End Up Paying the Bills for David Beckham's Miami MLS Team