reported yesterday that the Second Saturday Street Food and Music Festival inWynwood,
scheduled for this Saturday, May 12, was cancelled due to permitting issues.
Sakaya Kitchen's manager, Szilvia sent out an email to food truck owners simply stating,
Unfortunately the Wynwood event is not going to happen this month on the lot; the City will not give the permission.
See you hopefully next month."
Short Order called Sakaya Kitchen, where the message was confirmed.
Hales is out of the country on business and could not be reached for comment. Short Order
called the City of Miami's events permitting department, which said that a
permit application had not been filed for this weekend's food truck event.
The monthly roundup was plagued by
permitting issues after the site of the event at 210 NW 22nd Lane changed
ownership and event permit applications had to be refiled. Last month, Hales didn't get word that his permit had been approved for
The food truck roundup is attended by thousands of people monthly who
come to eat from over two dozen food trucks and listen to live music.
It's likely there will be food trucks though. A
smaller event organized by Food Truck Invasion at 250 NW
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
24th Street and listed on Miamifoodtrucks.com is also unconfirmed at this time, per the organizer. Short Order will update
this post with new information, as it is uncovered.
Update: Event organizer Richard Hales sent Short Order a message from Asia. He said he "worked the entire month trying to get an extension and it was not granted." He also said that he was "working the entire month with the director of zoning to get the extension." As of this update, the food truck event is still a no go for this weekend.