Think an avocado is just for humdrum guac? Well, think again. Here are three simple recipes you never knew you could do with avocado. All recipes have been tried and tested.
Note: To test an avocado for ripeness, give it a loving squeeze. If it's rock-hard or too mushy, it's either not ripe at all or overripe. Also, on the outside it should also be dark green, not bright emerald.
Try your hand at the recipes below and become an avocado master.
1. Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cake
Adapted from Joythebaker.com
What You'll Need:
2, 8-inch rounds or 2 thinner 9-inch rounds, greased and floured
The oven preheated to 350.
The cakes will bake 30-40 minutes.
Bowl #2 (Sugar): 2 cups granulated sugar
Bowl #3 (Wet Ingredients): 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup mashed avocado (1 medium avocado), 2 cups water, 2 Tbsp. white vinegar, 2 tsp. natural vanilla extract, and juice of 1 lime.
1. Mix all the dry ingredients
2. Mix all the wet ingredients
3. Add sugar to the wet ingredients and stir
4. Now add the wet mixture into the dry and beat with a whisk until smooth.
5. Pour batter into greased cake tins. Bake 30-40 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Let cakes cool for 15 minutes; then turn them out to cool on racks completely prior to frosting with the avocado buttercream.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
stand or hand mixer
2 tsp. lime juice
1 pound powdered sugar
1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
2. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and whisk by hand until smooth.
3. Frost that cake, eat, and enjoy!
2 tsp. lime juice
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 pint natural vanilla ice cream
1 medium sauce pan with an inch of canola oil (for frying) on medium heat
1 avocado sliced into 1-inch sticks
Bowl #1 (Flour): 1 cup all-purpose flour, pinch of salt and pepper
Bowl #2 (Eggs): 2 beaten eggs, pinch of salt and pepper
Bowl #3 ( Breadcrumbs): 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2. Dip each avocado slice in the flour of Bowl # 1, then in the eggs of Bowl # 2, then in the Panko bread crumb mixture in Bowl # 3.
3. Fry coated avocado sticks in small batches in the canola oil 1-2 minutes.
4. Season with salt once removed from pan.
Enjoy these recipes. I hope these avocado and lime pairings made you instantly fall in love with avocados' creamy, buttery goodness!