If you thought the cold war was over, think again, comrade, because Slava's Snowshow is heating up Miami by cooling it down... way down. We're talking Arctic freeze, folks.
This annual theatrical experience brings daily snowstorms to Miami's Adrienne Arsht Cente smack dab in the middle of the oppressive August slog. If that wasn't enough to love them for an eternity, the innovative show, which can be described best as "Cirque du Soleil and Blue Man Group have an awesome snowball fight" is having a cocktail show-down with the best restaurants in Miami giddily participating.
From Wednesday, July 31, (the opening night of Slava's Snowshow) through Wednesday, August 14, one dozen Miami-area restaurants will participate in Cocktail Cold Wars. Each restaurant will offer a special Russian or snow inspired cocktail for $6 each ($5 if you show a ticket stub from the show).
Try as many as you like (or all of them), then tweet for your favorite at @ArshtCenter using hashtag #CocktailColdWars. Some restaurants, like Segafredo Lincoln Road are going all out, with the marshmallow martini, which features a blowtorched marshmallow rim. Don't worry about remembering the name of the cocktail -- just ask for the Slava's Snowshow Cocktail Cold War special and be prepared to be dazzled!
Each tweet mentioning @ArshtCenter, #CocktailColdWars, and the restaurant's cocktail will count as a vote for that restaurant. The restaurant with the most tweets will win 25 tickets to the show as a staff outing; a day trip to the Bahamas for two on Balearia Express; a featured ad in Miami New Times; and bragging rights that they created the best Cold War-inspired cocktail.
Here's a list of the participating restaurants, their cocktails, and their Twitter accounts. Drinking and tweeting are encouraged, of course.
- The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions @TheFederalMIA (cocktail: Slava's Magical Ruby)
- Toscana Divino @ToscanaDivino (cocktail: Russian Lover)
- Balans Restaurants @BalansMiami (cocktail: Slava's Snow Cone)
- The Hoxton @HoxtonMiami (cocktail: Soviet Snow Cap)
- Serendipity 3 @SerendipityMIA (cocktail: Serendipity Snow Globe)
- Segafredo Lincoln Road @SegafredoLR (cocktail: Marshmallow Martini)
- Van Dyke Café @VanDykeCafe (cocktail: Raspberry Coconut Martini)
- Sunset Tavern @SunsetTavernSM (cocktail: Frostbite)
- Monty's Sunset @MontysSunset (cocktail: TBA)
- Haven Gastro-Lounge @HavenSouthBeach (cocktail: Purple Putin Eater)
- Sardinia @SardiniaEnoRest (cocktail: Basil Gimlet)
- Doma Polo @Doma_Polo (cocktail: Moscovita)
To purchase tickets to Slava's Snowshow, visit arshtcenter.org.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.