Maybe the economy hasn't tanked after all. How else can you explain shelling out $26,000 for dinner?
hat's how much it costs to enjoy La Castagne's nine course truffle dinner for four. The Philadelphia restaurant conceptualized a dining event that is "the most extravagant and exclusive in the entire world," according to Anthony Masapollo, managing partner of Le Castagne, as quoted in a press release.
Of course, it would be hard to get anyone to shell out $26k just for din din, so La Castagne has included some incentives. Behind door number one, you have one full-day cooking class with La Castagne's executive chef, Michael DeLone. Behind door number two you have one "47mm Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days Automatic Titanio wristwatch, a limited-edition Italian time piece manufactured by Officine Panerai." Whatever that is... Kidding! I looked it up; it's an expensive watch.
The menu boasts the "rarest ingredients in the world." Follow the jump for a gander at the most expensive nine course dinner on the planet.
- Puree of pumpkin soup, faro almonds, pumpkin oil and white truffles
- Milanese style egg, truffle bread crumb, spinach, roasted cherry tomatoes, truffle vinaigrette and humboldt fog goat cheese
- Beef tartare with marinated pioppini mushrooms, shaved Parmesan cheese, quail egg, and white truffle ricotta mousse
- Tagliatelle con Tartuffe bianchi pasta with Parmesan cheese sauce and white shaved truffle
- Veal rack, roasted baby potatoes, turnips, bacon, Parmesan and shaved white truffle
- Roasted quail stuffed with house-made sausage, potato, guanciale and finished with black truffle demi-glace
- Creamy polenta, wild mushrooms, pancetta and shaved white truffles
- Fillet of dover sole stuffed with scallop, shrimp mousse and black truffle beurre blanc
- Chocolate lava cake with truffle ricotta gelato and honey
- Wine pairing with each course from the world-renowned Antinori Estates
Here's a video of La Castagne:
I'll admit I've never heard of pumpkin oil, but I'm pretty sure you can find almost anything on that menu right here in the 305. And wine pairing? You'd think the $26K tab would include an open bar.
So party of four gets to mangiare, but only one of the four gets a watch and a cooking class? That doesn't seem fair. Especially if gratuity isn't included. What's 25 percent of $26,000?
Follow Ily on Twitter @realily.
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.