The August 1 takeover will be a battery of some hefty IPA (India Pale Ale) beers with each of their IBU ratings, or international bittering unit, totaling more than 1,000. Also on that night, the place will release 24 super-rare bottles of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA.
Funky Buddha taps are still rare in Miami with only two accounts at LoKal Burgers and Beer and OTC. The official tap time is 5 p.m. on Friday. The list includes:
- Hop Gun IPA
- Pineapple Hop Gun IPA
- Floridian Hefeweizen
- Raspberry Floridian
- Last Snow Porter
- No Crusts
- Doc Brown's 1.21 Gigawatts Brown Ale
The following Wednesday will see the beginning of a massive IPA takeover that runs for exactly eight days and two hours, or from 8 p.m. on August 1 to 10 p.m. on August 9.
The cost for the Dogfish Head 120 is $20 per bottle. These are the only bottles that OTC has acquired for the entire year, Feel lucky if you are able to get one! The beer list, which includes taps and bottles, has some of the highest rated IPAs and double IPAs around, also featuring local taps Hop Gun, Inlet Brewing's Monk IPA and Cigar City's Jai Alai IPA:
- Stone Ruination Double IPA, IBUs: 100+
- Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, IBUs: 120
- Avery 20-year Anniversary Double IPA, IBUs: ??
- Funky Buddha Hop Gun, IBUS: 90
- Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, IBUs: 70
- Cigar City Jai Alai IPA, IBUs: 70
- Dogfish Head Burton Baton, IBUs: 70
- Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, IBUs: 75
- Deviant Dales Double IPA, IBUs: 85
- Inlet Brewing's Monk in the Trunk Belgian IPA, IBUs: ??
The idea of the 1,000 IBU tap takeover comes from Brown Distributing representative Brian Tonneson, who will also be on hand to supplement any IPA knowledge you may or may not know.
And for those who are wondering: IBUs measure the bitterness of beer. Bittering units measure the isomerized alpha acids, which are derived from hops, for every liter of beer. One IBU contains one milligram of acid per liter.