Valentine's Day is upon us, which divides the world into two camps. Some see February 14 as the most romantic day of the year, while others see it as a way for Hallmark to sell cards.
We'd love to rethink this day not only for lovers but also for love in all forms. Sure, that traditional romantic couples dinner remains high on the list of things to do February 14, but how about celebrating your love for your parents or your besties? In this day and age, when we're redefining what traditional love and marriage looks like, now is the time to redefine Valentine's Day. And, really, it should be about the love you have in your heart, no matter what form it takes.
With that in mind, there's much to love about this weekend. Whether you're planning a romantic dinner for two, you love art, or you want to show your passion for a good brewski, there's something to do.
Weekend starts now!
See also: Miami's Ten Most Romantic Restaurants
Coconut Grove Arts Festival
The Coconut Grove Arts Festival runs Saturday, February 14, through Monday, February 16, at Peacock Park, with thousands of people flocking to the picturesque village to enjoy a weekend of fine knickknacks, music, and food. The festival's culinary pavilion features three days of cooking demos from some of Miami's best toques, including Eating House's Giorgio Rapicavoli and celebrity chef Richard Ingraham. Tickets to the festival cost $15 for general admission and $5 for residents of zip code 33133 (with proof of residency). Here's the complete roster of chef demos at the culinary pavilion:
Saturday, February 14, 2015
- Noon, Barefoot Wine & Bubbly 101 with Barefoot brand ambassador Randy Arnold
- 1 p.m., Chef Ramesh Kaduru, executive chef, Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove
- 2 p.m., chef Ciro Leoni, executive sous-chef, Panorama Restaurant & Sky Lounge, Sonesta Coconut Grove
- 3 p.m., Crispin Craftails: Mix It Up and Make It Yours
- 4 p.m., chef Paulette Bilsky, Super Foods for Super Families, presented by Milam's Supermarket
Sunday, February 15, 2015
- Noon, Barefoot "Hot" Blends with Barefoot brand ambassador Randy Arnold
- 1 p.m., chef Letty Alvarez, LA Sweets
- 2 p.m., chef Giorgio Rapicavoli, Eating House
- 3 p.m., chef Richard Ingraham with special guest Roxanne Vargas of NBC 6
- 4 p.m. Chef Irie with beer pairings by Blue Moon Brewing Company
Monday, February 16, 2015
- Noon, chef Paul Galadza and students from Robert Morgan Technical Center
- 1 p.m., chef Robert Gonzalez, pastry chef, Tuyo Restaurant
- 2 p.m., chefs Patrick McCurry and Pam Williams, Miami Culinary Institute
- 3 p.m., Miami Culinary Institute Student Chef Mystery Basket Competition
Special Katsuya Lunch
The SLS Hotel South Beach's Katsuya presents a special limited-time lunch service to celebrate Valentine's Day and the upcoming South Beach Wine & Food Festival. The special lunch will be available February 13 and 14 and again February 20 and 21 from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Menu items include many Katsuya favorites, such as yellowtail sashimi with jalapeño; crispy chicken salad served with plum vinaigrette; and a selection of robata items and sushi.
Valentine's Day Dining Guide
Valentine's Day is fast approaching, and whether you're celebrating with a spouse, significant other, or Grandma, you'll want to find the perfect spot. Our comprehensive Miami Valentine's Day 2015 Dinner Guide has everything from a formal multicourse dinner filled with champagne and foie gras to a casual picnic basket under the stars. Just remember to make reservations to avoid disappointment.
Ja'waiian BBQ Sundays at Miami Beach Edition
The already-buzzy Miami Beach Edition just got even hotter with the new weekly Ja'waiian BBQ Sundays. Beginning this Sunday, February 15, from 2 to 6 p.m. and recurring every Sunday, the event offers authentic Jamaican and Hawaiian barbecue favorites like jerk chicken with guava barbecue sauce and jícama slaw served on a luau coconut bun, and grilled lobster tails with lemon-basil butter and pineapple coleslaw, paired with tropical drinks. Wear a Hawaiian shirt and get a free beer. The fun goes down at the resort's Tropicale outdoor restaurant, and there's no cover to attend and enjoy the DJ set by Savannah Buffet and the cool, island vibes.
Brew Dogs at Wynwood Brewing Company
Get set to have your 15 minutes of fame this Saturday, February 14, when Brew Dogs comes to Wynwood Brewing Company to film a segment of the show. From 5 to 8 p.m., be a part of the taping and try the exclusive collaborative brew between BrewDog and Wynwood.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Follow us on Facebook at Miami New Times Food & Drink.