Paying big money for a night out at the fish house? You better hope that's grouper in your grouper.
Today, The Herald dropped an article about Mahmood Shivji, a college professor using forensic science to determine whether plated fish from restaurants around the country are of the species they are purported to be.
Here's a roundup of 10 restaurants that have been cited for the critical violation of "Identity of food or food product misrepresented" in 2009. Click the restaurant name for the full report.
- Goldie's Conch House - 11275 NW 27 Ave. - ADVERTISING GROUPER (GROUPER FINGERS, GROUPER DINNER, GRILLED GROUPER) IN MENU. INVOICE FROM ANCHOR SEAFOOD DATED 7/27/09 SHOWS ONLY BASA FILLET. ANOTHER RECEIPT DATED 7/27/09 #3394 WITH COMPANY LETTERHEAD "HEADS OR TAILS" WITH AMOUNT CHARGED OF $183; ATTACHED TO THIS RECEIPT AN INVOICE HANDWRITTEN WITH 20lbs GROUPER IS LISTED (WHOLE FISH WITH NO BOX CUT IN WALK_IN FREEZER). OPERATOR STATES ADVERTISED GROUPER FINGERS COMES ALREADY AS GROUPER FINGERS IN BOXES.
- Casa Cani Restaurant - 925 SW 87 Ave. - MENU ADVERTISING GROUPER, CHEF CLAIMS BASA IS AVAILABLE AND IS BEING OFFERED AS FISH SPECIAL. NOWHERE IN ESTABLISHMENT SHOWS "FISH ON SPECIAL" OFFERED AS CHEF SUGGESTED. OPERATOR/CHEF CANNOT PROVIDE PROOF OF GROUPER INVOICE.
- El Gallego Restaurant and Taverna - OBSERVED GROUPER/ MERO FISH ON MENU. COOK SHOWED ME TWO (2 ) NEW IN CASES AT REACH IN FREEZER WITH PANGASIUS FILETS 7-9 OZ, AS THE INNER PRODUCT OR FISH TYPE.OUTSIDE STICKER WITH : F82-064-01 PURCHASED DATE ON 07/15/2009. ACCORDING TO SALE STICKER ON BOX. MENU MENTIONED : MERO A LA PLANCHA (GRILLED GROUPER) $12.95. ALSO DAILY SPECIALS FOR : TUESDAY (grouper in creole sauce/mero enchilado), THURSDAY and SATURDAY AS WELL SAME DISH AT $10.95 , SPECIAL LUNCH (12:00 m to 4:00 pm) BACK OF MENUS.
- Stir Moon Sushi Noodle - 1100 S Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables - ESTABLISHMENT IS USING IMITATION CRAB WHILE THE MENU STATES "CRAB MEAT". NO INDICATION ON MENU THAT IT IS IMITATION.
- El Cortadito Cafe - 9873 SW 40 St - Identity of food or food product misrepresented. Snapper is on the menu but only bass is available. Operator stated that he has not sold snapper in a long time but can only show one invoice from july 2008 as proof. Bass is still on the menu. After operator was told to take the item in qustion of the menu he proceeded to ask what he would have to do to keep the item on the menu
- Thai Cafe - 6845 Main Street, Miami Lakes - MENU STATES "CRAB". ACTUAL FOOD PACKAGE STATES "FISH CAKE". NO INDICATION ON MENU THAT "CRAB" IS NOT REAL CRAB.
- Rinconcito Latino Cafeteria - 10481 SW 40 St. - BAKED GROUPER FILET WHITE RICE AND PLANTAINS / FILETE DE CHERNA A LA PLANCHA, ARROZ Y MADUROS, ON MENU. HEAD COOKED PROVIDED CON FOR ME TO OBSERVED A CASE OF FISH FILETS (SWAI FISH) PRODUCT OF THAILAND . FDA REGISTRATION # 13404810326. A 10 lbs case.OPERATOR UNABLE TO PROVIDED GROUPER FILETS OR GROUPER INVOICES.
- Rapi-Z Coffee Shop - 1000 E 8th Ave, Hialeah - ADVERTISING GROUPER ON THE MENU. OPERATOR AGREED TO REMOVED FROM THE MENU Corrected On Site.
- David Cafe II - 1654 Meridian Ave, Miami Beach - grouper advertised on menu invoice only shows chilanian seabass and swai fish only seabass found in walkin cooler.
- El Captain Restaurant - 3061 NW South River Drive - the operator serving tilapia as dolphin filet. In the special menu the operator advertizing Dolphin but when asked for the reciept no reciept of Dolphin purchase was provided, instead the operator informed me that tilapia is Dolphin and they are selling tilapia as Dolphin.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.