The term March Madness applied to the restaurant scene in Miami this past month. Several heavily anticipated venues by some heavy-hitters arrived:
Jeffrey Chodorow of China Grill Management opened Biscayne Tavern at the b2 hotel in downtown Miami. Though the restaurant is still in its soft-opening phase, there are more than two dozen beers to pair with the gastropub's simple yet satisfying food.
Michael Schwartz's Cypress Room opened in the Design District. In a departure from his two casual eateries, Schwartz has gone upscale with white-linen service, wine-pairing dinners, and classic cocktails.
50 Eggs' Swine Southern Table & Bar brings Southern hospitality, communal dining, and a large bourbon selection to Coral Gables.
March also saw the closings of two Miami-area favorites. After seven years, neighborhood pub Clarke's closed, and Clive's Café shuttered after nearly four decades.
Hotly anticipated spring openings include Jamie DeRosa and Michael Reginbogin's Tongue & Cheek and California transplant Umami Burger.
- Biscayne Tavern
- Charles St.
- The Cypress Room
- The Flat
- My Ceviche
- Proper Sausages
- Sgt Pepper's Cafe
- Sweet Saloon
- Swine Southern Table & Bar
- Ten Fruits
- Time For Wine
- Brooklyn Water Bagel Company
- Clive's Cafe
- La Camaronera is now open for dinner Friday and Saturday evenings
- Blue Collar is open until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturdays, with a late-night menu.
- Acropolis Greek Taverna - Bellydancing coming to the Grove.
- Aoki Teppanyaki - Coming to Dadeland.
- Aroma Espresso Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Balan's - Opening another location in Dadeland.
- Barley & Swine - Opening in Dadeland.
- Barnickel's - Coconut Grove eatery opening soon.
- Bar Lorenzo - Top Chef Tony Mantuano is opening an Italian restaurant soon.
- Barezzito - Late night sushi to open in SoBe.
- Batch - Gastropub coming to Brickell.
- Biscayne Tavern - opening at b2 Hotel in Miami.
- Bobby Flay's Burger Palace - Coming to Dadeland.
- Bricktop's - Chain restaurant coming to Coral Gables.
- Boxpark - The Hoxton's sibling, coming spring 2013.
- Capriccio - On the river, coming soon.
- Charles St. - Opening soon.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Cipriani - New York icon due at the Icon Brickell.
- Earl's Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Gravity Brewbar - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- HuaHua's - Todd Erickson's Lincoln Road tacqueria to open early 2013.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Jefe's Original Fish Taco & Burger - One of Miami's first food trucks goes brick and mortar.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Panther Coffee - Opening second location in SoBe.
- Perfecto Mediterranean Cafe - Opening in Brickell.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Restaurant du Cap - Philippe Ruiz' much anticipated venue coming to Brickell.
- The Restaurant at The Raleigh - Michael Schwartz' venture arriving winter 2013.
- Spaghetto - One just opened, several more in the works.
- SushiSamba - Opening second Miami-area location in Coral Gables.
- Sweetness Bake Shop - Another branch of the popular shop opening in Hialeah.
- Tongue & Cheek -- Jamie DeRosa and Michael Reginbogin's joint venture to open in the next few weeks.
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013.
- Umami Burger - The California craze is opening in Miami Beach.
- Urban Oxy - Coffee house with affordable bites.
- VooDoo BBQ and Grill - Bringing some mojo to Kendall.
- Wolfgang Steakhouse - Wolfgang Zwiener announces a Miami opening.
- Wynwood Brewing Company - Opening soon.
- Yard House - Chain grub with many many beers.
Projects in the Works
A fast-casual Asian concept by 50 Eggs is coming to South Beach, adjacent to the original Lime on Alton Road.
Giorgio Rapivicoli is planning a cocktail lounge adjacent to his Coral Gables restaurant, Eating House. He's also working on a doughnut shop.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.