The termMarch Madness
applied to the restaurant scene in Miami this past month. Several heavily anticipated venues by some heavy-hitters arrived:
Jeffrey Chodorow of China Grill Management opened Biscayne Tavern at the b2 hotel in downtown Miami. Though the restaurant is still in its soft-opening phase, there are more than two dozen beers to pair with the gastropub's simple yet satisfying food.
Michael Schwartz's Cypress Room opened in the Design District. In a departure from his two casual eateries, Schwartz has gone upscale with white-linen service, wine-pairing dinners, and classic cocktails.
50 Eggs' Swine Southern Table & Bar brings Southern hospitality, communal dining, and a large bourbon selection to Coral Gables.
March also saw the closings of two Miami-area favorites. After seven years, neighborhood pub Clarke's closed, and Clive's Café shuttered after nearly four decades.
Hotly anticipated spring openings include Jamie DeRosa and Michael Reginbogin's Tongue & Cheek and California transplant Umami Burger.
- Biscayne Tavern
- Charles St.
- The Cypress Room
- The Flat
- My Ceviche
- Proper Sausages
- Sgt Pepper's Cafe
- Sweet Saloon
- Swine Southern Table & Bar
- Ten Fruits
- Time For Wine
- Brooklyn Water Bagel Company
- Clive's Cafe
- La Camaronera is now open for dinner Friday and Saturday evenings
- Blue Collar is open until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturdays, with a late-night menu.
- Acropolis Greek Taverna - Bellydancing coming to the Grove.
- Aoki Teppanyaki - Coming to Dadeland.
- Aroma Espresso Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Balan's - Opening another location in Dadeland.
- Barley & Swine - Opening in Dadeland.
- Barnickel's - Coconut Grove eatery opening soon.
- Bar Lorenzo - Top Chef Tony Mantuano is opening an Italian restaurant soon.
- Barezzito - Late night sushi to open in SoBe.
- Batch - Gastropub coming to Brickell.
- Biscayne Tavern - opening at b2 Hotel in Miami.
- Bobby Flay's Burger Palace - Coming to Dadeland.
- Bricktop's - Chain restaurant coming to Coral Gables.
- Boxpark - The Hoxton's sibling, coming spring 2013.
- Capriccio - On the river, coming soon.
- Charles St. - Opening soon.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Cipriani - New York icon due at the Icon Brickell.
- Earl's Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Gravity Brewbar - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- HuaHua's - Todd Erickson's Lincoln Road tacqueria to open early 2013.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Jefe's Original Fish Taco & Burger - One of Miami's first food trucks goes brick and mortar.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Panther Coffee - Opening second location in SoBe.
- Perfecto Mediterranean Cafe - Opening in Brickell.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Restaurant du Cap - Philippe Ruiz' much anticipated venue coming to Brickell.
- The Restaurant at The Raleigh - Michael Schwartz' venture arriving winter 2013.
- Spaghetto - One just opened, several more in the works.
- SushiSamba - Opening second Miami-area location in Coral Gables.
- Sweetness Bake Shop - Another branch of the popular shop opening in Hialeah.
- Tongue & Cheek -- Jamie DeRosa and Michael Reginbogin's joint venture to open in the next few weeks.
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013.
- Umami Burger - The California craze is opening in Miami Beach.
- Urban Oxy - Coffee house with affordable bites.
- VooDoo BBQ and Grill - Bringing some mojo to Kendall.
- Wolfgang Steakhouse - Wolfgang Zwiener announces a Miami opening.
- Wynwood Brewing Company - Opening soon.
- Yard House - Chain grub with many many beers.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Projects in the Works
A fast-casual Asian concept by 50 Eggs is coming to South Beach, adjacent to the original Lime on Alton Road.
Giorgio Rapivicoli is planning a cocktail lounge adjacent to his Coral Gables restaurant, Eating House. He's also working on a doughnut shop.