July was a surprisingly strong month for openings, with well over a dozen new spots for Miamians to try smack dab in the middle of what used to be "off season." Notable restaurants include Finka Table & Tap, a gastropub by the owners of CubanCube food truck; Centolire, the New York Italian trattoria; Bistro BE, a Belgian restaurant that shows Miami there's more than just mussels and beer (like there's anything wrong with that), and N by NAOE, Kevin Cory's intimate lunch/dinner space.
Fireman Derek also opened his first brick and mortar pie shop (good for the soul, bad for the diet), and Shuckers Waterfront Grill reopened after a tragic accident closed the popular restaurant/bar last year.
The restaurants that closed this month hit especially hard. Choices Cafe in Brickell went out with a party, Jerry's Deli closed after over 12 years of catering to our 3 a.m. pastrami cravings, and Jumbo's closed after decades of making history in Liberty City.
But, even as we say goodbye to old favorites, we look forward to the new. We're especially looking froward to Ms. Cheezious finally opening up their restaurant on 74th Street and Biscayne Blvd. in the fall, along with Siena Tavern, Fabio Viviani's Chicago restaurant, which is set to open in a few months. And Little Havana will get new life when Ball & Chain brings classic cocktails to Calle Ocho.
- A.I.R. (Artist in Residence)
- Bianco Gelato
- Bistro BE
- Cantina La Veinte
- Centolire Trattoria Italiana
- Embarcadero 41
- Ferris Pop-Up at Sole on the Ocean
- Finka Table & Tap
- Fireman Derek's Pies
- Il Mulino
- Juan Valdez Cafe
- Lokum Mediterranean Grill
- MIA Brewing Company
- MiMo Art Cafe
- My Ceviche (South Miami)
- N by NAOE
- Prost Wurstgrill & Bierhouse
- Shuckers Waterfront Grill
- Ticety Iced Tea Bar
- Choices Cafe Brickell
- Ho Wang Chinese
- Jerry's Deli
- New Chinatown Restaurant
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach.
- Biscayne Brewing Co. - Fresh beer coming soon.
- Bikini Barista - coming to midtown.
- Bodega - opening in South Beach.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- The Daily Creative Food Co. - opening in Miami Beach.
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Hannya Asian Cuisine - Coming to Miami.
- Habeas Corpus - A new restaurant by the B&S owners.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- La Moderna - Opening in SoBe.
- Mellow Mushroom - Stoner themed pizza chain opening in Miami.
- Morimoto Restaurant - Opening in Shelborne South Beach
- MIA Brewing Co. - Opening soon in Doral.
- Miam Cafe - Opening in Wynwood.
- Mignonette - Danny Serfer to open an oyster bar.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- My Ceviche - Coming to South Miami and Coral Gables.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Panther Coffee is opening locations in Little Haiti, Coconut Grove, and MiMo.
- Paraiso Bay will host a Michael Schwartz restaurant.
- Pi Pizzeria - opening Pi'ami.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Red Ginger - Asian flair coming to South Beach.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegetarian cuisine.
- Stripsteak - Michael Mina rumored to be opening another restaurant at the Fontainebleau.
- STK - Reopening.
- Siena Tavern - Fabio Viviani opening Italian restaurant in SoBe.
- Station 5 - opening soon.
- Senor Frog's - the party comes to Miami.
- Smooshie's - Giant candy shop opening in Key Biscayne.
- Thompson Hotel - MIchelle Bernstein to open restaurant.
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Vintro Hotel & Kitchen - Small boutique hotel and restaurant.
- J. Wakefield Brewing Company - Coming to Wynwood.
- White Lotus - James Beard-winner Matthew Kenney brings the raw food movement to Wynwood.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer than ever to opening a Miami Beach location.
- Stephen Starr is opening a concept at the Young Arts building.