The James Beard Foundation has just announced its semifinalists in the restaurant and chef categories for 2013, and South Florida has seven reasons to be very proud.
This is actually the beginning of the long road to winning a coveted James Beard Award. The semifinalist list will be whittled down March 18, when the remaining finalists will be named in Charleston.
After that, the winners for 2013 will be announced at the annual awards
gala and reception May 6 at Avery Fisher Hall in New York City.
Also being honored at the gala is Emeril Lagasse, who will be named the Humanitarian of the Year. For those of you wishing to attend in person, tickets go on sale March 18.
Here are South Florida's semifinalists. Let the knuckle-biting begin!
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
- Khong River House (Best New Restaurant)
- The Broken Shaker (Outstanding Bar Program)
- Hedy Goldsmith, Michael's Genuine Food & Drink (Outstanding Pastry Chef)
- Giorgio Rapicavoli, Eating House (Rising Star Chef of the Year)
- Jeff McInnis, Yardbird Southern Table & Bar (Best Chef: South)
- Jose Mendin, Pubbelly (Best Chef: South)
- Clay Conley, Buccan Palm Beach (Best Chef: South)
For a complete list of semifinalists, visit jamesbeard.org.