It's that time of year again when we count down to New Times' Best of
Miami 2012 issue in June. Until then, Short Order will serve up 100 of
our favorite dishes in the 305. If you have any nominations of your own,
please send them to [email protected].
65. Pear Apple Pie at The Federal
Stepping into The Federal is comparable to falling into a time and space warp where you find yourself talkin' like-a this and a-wantin' some good eats and libations.You'll wonder why you ended up deciding to go with a button down instead of that flannel plaid shirt. Sure, it's Miami, but that doesn't mean we can't get into character. Characters who have had the pear apple pie ($8) from The Fed would agree -- that right there is one of the best dang'on sweets we've ever had.
Funny talk and flannel plaid aside, the homemade pear apple pie is sweet and tart, warm and homey. The man in charge of the sweetums at The Fed, Alejandro Ortiz, clearly had good, quality dessert in mind when he made the recipe. We can't account for everything, but right off the bat, ripe pears and apples, lemon juice, and cinnamon are key stars of the show. Flaky, buttery crust need not be forgotten - that's what ties it all together.
The compilation of flavors is like a symphony in your mouth - and when you get to the creamy goodness of the fresh homemade whipped cream, you'll find yourself in euphoria.
Now, that's some good eatin'.
100 Favorites Dishes
66. Carne Asada Fajitas at Cinco Cantina & Tequila Bar
67. Tres Leches at Havana 1957
68. Corn Bread at Peoples Barbecue
69. Truffle Artichoke Soup at Villa Mayfair
70. Portobello Mushroom Sandwich at the Café at Books & Books
71. Grilled Wings at Shuckers Bar & Grill
72. Turkey and Prosciutto With Fresh Mozzarella at La Sandwicherie
73. Creamy Tahini With Hummus at Broken Shaker
74. Kobe Burger at CG Burgers
75. Brie Mozzarella Sticks at the Local
76. Paleta de Elote at La Michoacana Paleteria
77. Strawberry Fields Roll at I Love Sushi
79. Pork Rillettes at Buena Vista Deli
80. Chicken Fricassee at Le Bouchon Du Grove
81. Bacon & Egg Udon at Gigi
82. Wagyu Gunkan at SushiSamba Dromo
83. Grilled Tiger Prawns at Mare Nostrum
84. The Lokal Burger at Lokal
85. Porchetta Sandwich at Salumeria 104
86. Nitro Ice Cream at Haven Gastro-Lounge
87. Red Burger at Red Restaurant
88. Carnitas Torta at Mercadito's Taqueria
89. Bone Marrow Ropa Vieja at Eating House
90. Mushroom-Crusted Grouper at the River Seafood & Oyster Bar
91. Crispy Pork and Onion Salad at Hiro's Yakko-San
92. Moqueca Brazileira at Pearl Restaurant & Lounge
93. Corvina at Edge Steak and Bar
94. Spiked Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3
95. Egg Custard Tart With Black Truffles at Philip Ho
96. Soft Pretzels at Mister Collins
97. Serrano Ham Croquettes at Crazy About You
98. The Elena Ruth Sandwich at Sergio's
99. Chow Fun at Chow Down Grill
100. Grilled Artichoke at Peacock Garden Cafe
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.