It's just about 2010. Here are my choices. What do you think?
1. After being snatched by federal authorities, Elian Gonzalez is sent home to his father in Cuba on June 28, 2000.
2. Art Basel Miami Beach starts in 2002, an offshoot of the Swiss affair, it changes Miami's cultural life forever.
3. Not long after the battle in Seattle, Miami's streets explode with the Free Trade Area of the America riots in November 2003.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
4. The Marlins go from 10 games under .500 to win their second world series over the Yankees, also in November 2003.
5. Miami Commissioner and former county commission chairman Arthur Teele, facing federal indictment, shoots himself in the lobby of the Miami Herald.
6. Hurricane Wilma whacks the area in 2005 after Katrina blew through, It was the worst huricane season in history and did nearly as much property damage and Andrew.