It's just about 2010. Here are my choices. What do you think?
1. After being snatched by federal authorities, Elian Gonzalez is sent home to his father in Cuba on June 28, 2000.
2. Art Basel Miami Beach starts in 2002, an offshoot of the Swiss affair, it changes Miami's cultural life forever.
3. Not long after the battle in Seattle, Miami's streets explode with the Free Trade Area of the America riots in November 2003.
4. The Marlins go from 10 games under .500 to win their second world series over the Yankees, also in November 2003.
5. Miami Commissioner and former county commission chairman Arthur Teele, facing federal indictment, shoots himself in the lobby of the Miami Herald.
6. Hurricane Wilma whacks the area in 2005 after Katrina blew through, It was the worst huricane season in history and did nearly as much property damage and Andrew.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.