Every year when the temperatures dip below 50 degrees Miamians freak out. Every year we collectively empty out the space heater isles of our local stores. Every year someone inadvertently ends up burning the house down with that space heater. 2012 is no different.
A 96-year-old woman is now without her home of 40 years after it got badly damaged in a fire.
According to NBC Miami, the woman, Estrella Aviles, had plugged a portable space heater into an outlet that already had too many plugs inserted in it. The overload led to an electric short which caused a fired in another room of the woman's Little Havana home at 345 Southwest 15th Ave.
The elderly woman's caregiver discovered the fire, but the woman didn't want to leave her home until firefighters arrived. So the caregiver began screaming. Luckily a good Samaritan overhead the screams and was able to rescue both women from the blaze.
The house, while not completely destroyed, was deemed unlivable once firefighters extinguished the blaze. Aviles will now temporarily live with her caretaker.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.