4
| Columns |

Deede Weithorn's Hubby Selling "CityOfMiamiBeach.Net" In Sad, Sad Auction

^
Keep New Times Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Miami and help keep the future of New Times free.

Miami Beach City Commissioner Deede Weithorn's husband is literally trying to cash in on the city's name. Mark Weithorn is auctioning off "www.CityOfMiamiBeach.net." Minimum bid: 50 cool Benjamin Franklin notes or 100,000 nickels. The deadline is March 8. Highest bidder wins, of course.

And here Banana Republican thought cyber-squatting was so 2000 and late. His wife insists she had no involvement in Mark's attempt to make a quick buck. "I became aware of the auction through an email like everyone else," she says an in email statement. "Just like any other spouse, I do not participate in my husband's job. Any further inquiries should be directed to him."

See also:
- Miami Herald Endorses Mark Weithorn Despite His Financial Baggage

Mark Weithorn, who owns a company that builds web sites, says he's selling the domain name on behalf of a client. He emphasized the domain name has nothing to do with city government. "Web sites like there are quite common," Weithorn explains. "These sites are commonly used as advertising portals for services in these various cities."

Earlier this week, Weithorn fired off an email blast sent to hundreds of people marketing the domain name, which was forwarded to Banana Republican. Weithorn says he is "acting as the exclusive agent for the current owner." He uses a photo of the city's mural welcoming visitors coming off the Julia Tuttle Causeway.

Then comes his pitch:

Miami Beach is one of the top tourist destinations and real estate markets in the world. Millions of people travel here every year and spend billions of dollars. Now you have an opportunity to purchase a domain name that will help you capture some of these people.

Due to many requests we have decided to have an auction for this domain name. Ownership goes to the highest bidder.

According to his auction guidelines, bids must be submitted to Weithorn via email. He will also keep bidders apprised via email. The winning bidder will be required to make a 10 percent non-refundable deposit ASAP to his company, Showcase Web Sites. Then the winner has three working days to send a check or use PayPal for the remaining 90 percent.

Sounds like one of those Nigerian bank transfer emails that are always too good to be true. And $5,000 is really on the low when you consider Go Daddy is auctioning "www.CityofMiamiBeach.com" for $24,900.

Follow Francisco Alvarado on Twitter: @thefrankness.

Follow Miami New Times on Facebook and Twitter @MiamiNewTimes.

Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Miami.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Miami.